We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

I will be visiting Luang Prabang for just under 2 days in total. Wondering if the following itinerary is possible, especially on Day 2?

Day 1 (arrive 3:30 pm): Mount Pousi for sunset and night market

Day 2: Kwang Si Waterfall in morning, Pak Ou cave in afternoon (or other way round?)

Day 3 (depart 2:30 pm): Wat Xien Tong, Grand Palace & Wat Mai

Is it best to take a tuk tuk to Kwang Si Waterfall, return by tuk tuk, then take a boat to Pak Ou? Is there a way to get from Kwang Si to Pak Ou so I cut out a leg of the journey, i.e. Hotel -> Kwang Si by tuk tuk -> Pak Ou by (?) -> Hotel by boat?

My hotel is along the Mekong River.

Thanks!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Yes that is possible. It is a bit rushed, but possible. I would do Pak Ou in the afternoon, as you will be coming back on the Mekong in sunset. You need to go back to LP after Kuang Si and then take a boat. Organise this the day before so you don't waste time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Thank you Rufuscat - that was useful to know!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Forgot to ask - how long is the boat ride along the Mekong to Pak Ou?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,971 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

2hrs there and 1.5 back

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Ok - thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Take a mini-van to Kuang Si, it is about 90 minutes by car, so you would not have time to go by tuk-tuk.

If you want to swim in the falls , they suggest you head to Kuang Si in the afternoon, when the sun's high and it's warm. It's also a great place to have a picnic lunch. I believe the boats only head to Pak Ou in the morning, but if you hire a whole boat yourself (a little pricey) you can go anytime. Inquire at yoru guesthouse once you arrive, they can probably arrange the excursions for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Ok - thanks for the tip!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

"I believe the boats only head to Pak Ou in the morning, but if you hire a whole boat yourself (a little pricey) you can go anytime."

No Maneki, they go all day long. However I agree, I would get a boat myself. The best place to do this is at the wharf; bargain directly with the boat owner.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

I was told by my hotel it costs US$10 per personto go on the public boat to Pak Ou and tickets can be purchased at the 'boat association', I assume this means at a counter of some sort.

If I bargain with a boat owner, that will mean a private boat right? What is a good price to bargain down to?

Are these boats 'safe'? Life jackets on board?

Thanks again!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kwang Si Waterfall and Pak Ou cave in a Day?

Safe enough. Life jackets? Never seen one. It'd be a good if you knew how to swim, though...

Thanks for the info, R, thought the "tour boats" only did the trips in the morning hours...