We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

Harrogate, UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

Having searched for flights from both Bangkok and Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang in February - it seems to be very expensive.

Can anyone recommend whether we should try and book this in advance of our trip (from the UK) or whether it would be cheaper to book a trip from Bangkok when we arrive? We will have at least 5 days in Bangkok & Chiang Mai before we will move to Laos.

Does anyone have an idea of the cheapest possible cost of flights???

Help!

Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

I think the best way to get to Luang Prabuang is to book it at a travel agency once you get to Bangkok. Last year I had booked some tours online from the US and when I got to Bangkok, they were all cancelled. It's very, very easy to book tours once you get to Bangkok and don't book them at hotels! They charge a lot more. Go to a travelling agency to get better rates and don't forget to bargain.

Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

Oh by the way, Thai Airways is awesome -- they really take care of you. A flight from Bangkok to Chiangmai is probably about $100 US or $165 for Executive Class. Don't forget to go to the Night Bazaar in Chiangmai and if you get a chance in Laos, go to Vang Vieng.

3. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 pm, February 04, 2006
4. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 pm, February 04, 2006
Japan
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

Hi Pukita,

I would recommend booking on Bangkok Airways (BKA) online before you come if you want to get to Luang Prabang.Running around Bangkok looking for tickets is not worth the hassle in a beautiful, yet chaotic city like Bangkok,especially in the heat in my opinion.

There are a few things I can tell you that may help you decide. For one, word has it from other travellers here that Thai Airways apparently cancelled its Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang route. From Bangkok, I am not sure if that route is still in service.

I do know that Laos Airlines flies from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. However, they don't fly to and from Bangkok. The price for return tickets is around $ 140 CAD (68 pounds roughly).You can book online with them.

My wife and I have flown to Luang Prabang on BKA from Bangkok a few times and think highly of the service.We have flown return for about $300 CAD (about 145 pounds) each. You can book online with them too. They have a system where you pay online and they send you a flight inventory by e-mail which you bring with you and present to them with credit card at the airport in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

If its cheap you want then try Laos Airlines, but if you want convenience, great service and decent prices then try BKA. Hope this helps you out.

Cheers.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

We travelled from CM to LP last November, and we booked through Tami Tours (any agency can do it) the flights from BKK to CM, CM to LP.

When we got to LP, we booked the last leg to Hanoi there.

So yes, I would wait 'til Bangkok. It's really really easy!!

sydney, australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Luang Prabang from Bangkok or Chiang Mai???

Go to Bangkokair.com and have a look at their Discovery Pass which can only be purchased outside of Thailand. I have used it to book a flight from Bankgok to Luang Prabang, Luang Prabang to Siem Reap and then back to Bangkok and it is costing me US$80 per leg (add tax on). You have to purchase minimum 3 vouchers but that was the cheapest I could find when looking to go in March. You will need to go to your travel agent and book it but all the info and flight routes are on the website.

have a nice holiday.