We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

fresno, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

Would like to take a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng for tubing. Is this reasonable? What's the fastest way to get there? Private bus, taxi, or rental car? Thanks in advance.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

I have been investigating a trip to Vang Vieng from vientiane myself and from all accounts the trip there takes 3 - 31/2 hours by bus, Say you get there and then have lunch that leaves you time for a tubing down river and then back to Vientiane by late evening (which is around 9.00pm in Laos based on what I've read and heard).

I hasten to add that I haven't " been there, done that." No doubt Rufuscat and bluecramp can provide you with better info. We're staying a night though before heading back to Vientiane.

Check out posts on the best way of catching transport to V V.

cheers

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

While it is theoretically possible, it is not practical. Travel here in Laos is not like trave in western countries, it is slower and things can go wrong. You would need to book a mini bus and that would be expensive. I would suggest that if you want to do this, you should spend at least one night there.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

I was up there last weekend and the river level is still low and running slowly. The drift itself, in the wet season when the river is flowing faster, takes about 2.5hrs, so it will take a lot longer now.

The fastest way to get there is by charted minibus or taxi but this is expensive - 2.5 to 3 hours instead of 3.5 to 4 hours on the bus, so doesn't save that much time either.

fresno, ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

Thanks you all for the information. I will reconsider the day trip and probably stay in Vang Vieng for a couple of nights.

5. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:34 am, June 21, 2010
Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

Possible with private car hire but would recommend staying a night or so up there. After a day on the river the last thing you will want is to spend 3 hours driving along windy roads back to Vientiane

7. Re: Is a day trip from Vientiane to Vang Vieng reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 04, 2010