We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

We will be visiting both a Lahu and Akha hill tribe in northern Thailand and then heading to Luang Prabang. After seeing those tribes, are the tribes around Luang Prabang interesting and different, or does it seem like they are similar? We have limited time and trying to decide if we should spend a day trekking to a hill tribe in Laos. Thanks for your help!

TAMChicago

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

I don't know in what way you would like to compare them, but I have some photos of the Hmong New Year here, which was pretty colorful

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7930283@N04/sets/72157622500612565/

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

Thanks! Very enjoyable.

TAMChicago

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

I found that the hill tribe villages in NE Thailand, particularly around Chaing Mai and Chiang Rai, had much more of an exploited 'theme park' feel to them which you don't get in Laos. In the couple of villages I visited around 2002 in N Thailand (alone, not part of a booked group), there were more long camera lenses being pointed than there were villagers.

In Laos that isn't the case - they are much less visited than this, even the villages on established tour itineraries around Luang Prabang. I think you will enjoy trekking around LP.

Edited: 8:14 pm, November 23, 2009
4. Re: Hill tribes in Laos compared to those of northern Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 23, 2010