We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

Hi, I know there are many options...but I'm looking for a decent, mid-range boutique hotel (no more than US150/night) with a swimming pool. Not necc in the centre of town but close enough. Have been looking at Bel Air, Villa Maly, La Maison and Apsara. If anyone has any experience in these places (or any other recommendations), I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

For those in LP right now, inquiring minds want to know, how was Boun Awk Phansa in Luang Prabang this year? Unfortunately I got tied up with some projects and couldn't make it back to LP in time this year but hope everyone who's visiting LP for this festival had a great time. Which LP village won the 'best fireboat float' this year?

New Yorker
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

I wish I knew what one won, however what I can tell you is that it was one of the best events I have ever seen in all of my travels. My wife (who is lao and was the first time back in 20years) and I spent the evening walking to the Wat holding our own little boats (hand made for only 3,000 kip...approx 40 cents) then released them in the river. There were about 10 main boats, all of which were very cool.

The best part for anyone who goes next year was to sit inside the Wat and listen to the Monks chant prior to the procession of the boats.

Amazing time.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

Thanks for the report, Drew. Great that you two had a great experience. So your wife is Lao? Very cool.

Wish I was back there right now! Oh, well, just a few more weeks.

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

We stayed at Alila 3 Nagas in late Oct, a lovely boutique hotel at the quiet end of the main street which we highly recommend. The management and brilliant chef aimed to please its guests. We asked the GM why they did not put a small pool in their idyllic garden. He explained LP has different "zones" and building requirements -- those hotels in the town centre near all the temples cannot put pools in because of its UNESCO World Heritage Site status; and with the presence of many monks walking about, exposure to female tourists in scanty swimwear was a no-no. Way to go for religious and cultural sensitivity! However, there are several hotels/resorts "outside" of the town centre with pools...

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

The Apsara 2 is now open, directly across the river from the Apsara, and yes, Apsara 2 does have a lovely pool. Dont know the room rates though, it looks fabulous, and possibly expensive!

Good luck,

SB

16. Re: Boutique hotel Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, May 27, 2010