We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time Visit

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time Visit

Hello,

1st time visit to Luang Praband which is planned for end of Jan.

We are staying in Thailand for 4 months in Chiang Mai from Nov to end March and wanting to visit Laos for the first time. Luang Prabang has been mentioned to us many times on our visits to Thailand so we thought we would visit this time.

We plan on flying into Luang Prabang from Thailand. Can anybody give us ideas and help regarding where to stay (not too expensive middle of the road prices), what to see and how long to stay.

Many thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time Visit

Hi

Have a look here for an on-line guide. Lots of info on what to see & do, plus accommodation info & reviews. Cheers

travelfish.org/location/…luang_prabang

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time Visit

Thanks, I will check it also for my trip.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time Visit

You could easily fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang aboard Lao Airlines and if time is available, return overland back to Chiang Mai via the Lao-Thai crossing of Hauy Xai to Chiang Khong.

Allowing 2 weeks after flying into L. Prabang to return to Thailand overland would make for a very comfortable trip taking in some of the riverside towns and villages, and also into the trekking areas.

If you're planning to vist at the end of January, I don't think it'll be necessary to pre-book your accommodations in advance after the peak holiday period. There are quite a number of moderate range villas charging in the U$30-50 range.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time Visit

You can easily spend a month in Laos, but I guess this is impractical for you. If you state what your interests are I can make some suggestions as to what to see and do.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time Visit

Hi, Planning on three to four days in Luang Praband at the end of November or beginning of December after about three weeks in Vietnam. I was in Vientiene about four years ago. Any suggestions on Luang Praband and about touring around. Every easy in Vietnam to find drivers on motorbikes to take you anywhere but I would it was not quite so easy in Lao. Many thanks.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time Visit

You're right in saying no motorbike taxis in Laos like in Vietnam. You can rent them now though in LP, but they are expensive - $20 compared to $5-8 in other Lao towns. In LP there are lots of tuktuks and songthaews that can take you to all the sites in the nearby area (waterfalls etc). They charge about $15 per trip after bargaining (the furthest waterfall being about 30km). You can also rent bicycles, its a nice ride to either of the falls if you are reasonably fit.

S.Carolina
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time Visit

I like Luang Prabang. I went there last year year.

8. Re: 1st Time Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 04, 2010