We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louang Prabang in June

San Francisco
1 post
Save Topic
Louang Prabang in June

We're considering traveling from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and over to LP in mid-June . Anyone know how rainy it usually is? Is it too uncomfortable to be there that time of year?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louang Prabang in June

No, usually rains but not constantly. Bring a folding umbrella.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louang Prabang in June

Can be humid as well.

Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Louang Prabang in June

Not sure if your question relates to LP specifically or the region in general.

It is the rainy season but, as Maneki says, this is not usually constant.

If you are already sure about Bangkok and Chiang Mai then LP will be no problem as it has cooler evenings and is much less humid than Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Vientiane (or for that matter San Francisco!). Much drier than Vientiane too with similar rainfall levels to Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

If your question is about the region in general then perhaps check the city's averages against what you are used to?

The following link will show you average climates for cities around the world: www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Louang Prabang in June

'If you are already sure about Bangkok and Chiang Mai then LP will be no problem as it has cooler evenings and is much less humid than Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Vientiane (or for that matter San Francisco!). '

Huh??? No way Luang Prabang is as cool or less humid than San Francisco, especially in June. I live in both locations and today, the weather in the east bay is cool in the high 60s-low 70s with very low heat and humidity, although it's expected to rain tomorrow. My friends in LP are telling me it's been hot and humid in LP with intermittent showers.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louang Prabang in June

It was very humid in LP last week - and wet.

Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Louang Prabang in June

OK Guys - one more time...

The mail sid that LP was not as humid as SF and going by the averages for these places that is correct. Please see the guides I pointed to...

Fully admit that LP is way warmer but then I never claimed this to be otherwise. Like I said, if the question was about the region in total it would be worth comparing an area that is well known with regional averages. BUT, if the question was only about BK, CM and LP then LP has no real worries in terms of climate.

Also, I did not say that LP was not warm, wet or humid. Just that it was, on average, less warm than BK and Chiang Mai, Less humid than BK, CM, VTE or SF and drier than VTE. If you want to take issue with these points please feel free and point me in the direction of your information.

Please let me know where what I said was inaccurate and is backed up by the records. Look forward to your replies from warm, wet and humid VTE and Cool, dry and humid SF...

Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Louang Prabang in June

RE: SF climate have realised that it is not clear from my mail that LP is warmer than SF - apologies for that - the remainder stands...

8. Re: Louang Prabang in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang