We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

Ipswich
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

Hi, Myself and partner are embarking on a year world trip starting in Nov. The plan is to head out in Nov and chill out on the islands for two months. I went to Thailand and done a bit of the north and island hopping for three weeks. Had a amazing time, so hence the big trip is being planned. I am wanting some help/advice on "where to start" when we head to Cam, Laos and Viet... i have alot of researching and reading to do.. however i thought here would be a good start... we will prob be around that are for a max of 6 weeks before heading down to Indonesia. So if any of you have any suggested routes or must do things or places to go.. then please drop me a line..

Kind regards Em

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

Have you heard from anyone? What are your plans so far? I'd love to know because I would also like to plan a trip to all three countries (I take college students).

I have been to Vietnam twice (so a total of about 40 days) so can share info about that.

Mentioned in this post
Ipswich
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

I would love to hear from you if you have any tips to give me re: Vietnam...

Reagards

Em

Mentioned in this post
noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

I always found that a good starting point was to "pretend" I was going to take a group tour---get hold of all the brochures from travel agents and see what they recommend. ( I didnt go on a group tour as they were very hurried but they gave you a good outline of where to go, that you could then modify to suit your own pace and budget)

Then read a good guide book ( eg. LP, rough guide) and then come back to here and read peoples questions ( and answers)

I did vietnam in Oct 2006 - went north to south over 3 weeks

Hanoi - to halong bay ( 3 days/ 2 nights - ocean tours) then flew to Hue ( 2 nights) drove to Hoi an ( ended up 5 days - loved the place) skipped nha trang ( I live on a beach so another beach resort wasnt a priority for me) flew from danang to HCMC - several days there - day trip to cu chi tunnels, coa dai temple - flew to dalat - 2 nights, 2 days

Missed mui ne, nha trang, sapa, mekong, central highlands, phu quoc island.

Planning trip no 2 ( off in 3 weeks)- will make sure I get to sapa, nha trang, mui ne and mekong delta as well as hanoi and HCMC , and am including laos , cambodia and a week in china in guilin to visit a friend.

Your trip will be great

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

Hi Noosa

Would love to hear about your trip however it unfolds

We are a family of 6, with a one way flight to Cambodia , 6 weeks and then another one way flight from Bangkok to Shenzhen

mitchy

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
154 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

Hi,

My husband and I have just spent 10 weeks travelling through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. We didn't travel much through Thailand this was really just our entry and exit points.

We flew into Bangkok then up to Chiang Mai and crossed the border into Loas in the north. We spent 2.5 weeks travelling down Loas. We included the Gibbon Experience, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientine, Paske and 4000 islands. We found we didn't really have enough time and would have like to spend more time in 4000 islands.

We did an intrepid tour for 2.5 weeks in Cambodia which was great, but it would be very easy to do yourself. The tour we did was heart of Cambodia.

We spent a month in Vietnam beginning in the south and travelling to the north. We included a 9 day Easyrider tour www.dalat-easyrider.com.vn which would have been a highlight. We had local guides and the tour was designed to suit us. I would also recommend Sapa and Halong Bay. We also flew using Jetstar from Hoi An to Hanoi.

If you are interested take a look at my travelblog http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/robyngary/

Hope that helps

Robyn

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng
Vientiane Province, Laos
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
6. Re: Help needed tp plan: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 10, 2009