We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaps drinks and eats?

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
Cheaps drinks and eats?

Luang Prabang lovers...

Hit me with your fav bars and restaurants that dont break the bank?

I cant believe how expensive it is here now... definitely changed in 10 years... cocktails are a minimum $6-10aud and not finding a food dish under $6-12... what am I missing?

21 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

I would suggest that if you don't enjoy it there then go somewhere else.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Really we had food for about $2 a dish. You must be in the tourist places. Don’t drink cocktails.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Try phonheuang Cafe. Food is from 17,000 and cocktails about 24,000 kip.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Another place to try is Bamboo Garden, it’s about 22,000 a dish, gets good good reviews, we did not make there as stayed near night market in the end.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

If you go to the night market, walk down the road to the river, turn left and after about 100m you should see 2 restaurants there right on the river, don’t know the names and not on TA, we ate there twice, good food and not expensive about 30,000 kip I think.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
6. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Thanks. Leaving is not an option Dikthai! Not really a necessary response! Thanks Ray we will keep hunting.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
449 reviews
7. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Cheap foodstalls at the market

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

There were some food stalls along the river in the evening also, did not try them, seems to be a new thing. Also at lunchtime there are a few stalls by the river, not as many as before. There are quite a few noodle stalls or restaurants around town, you can get a bowl for around 10-15,000 kip. We ate at one opposite Dara market, mostly locals eating there.

Edited: 4:52 am, May 15, 2018
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

Bamboo Garden, suggested above, is ordinary to say the least. The food was of average; the Lao food cooked to western palates and the western food....well, not so good. Luang Prabang is expensive. There are good restaurants but they are not cheap.35-40 thousand kip for a cocktail is standard. Can you get cheaper in Oz? I don't think so.

Edited: 7:38 am, May 16, 2018
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Cheaps drinks and eats?

You can get a good meal at the Luang Prabang Bakery.

Reply to: Cheaps drinks and eats?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted