We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights and boat trip

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Flights and boat trip

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I will be in Myanmar in October.We want to see if anyone has flown from Yangon to Bhamo and then taken the boat from Barmo to Myitkyna, to confirm this is possible.

Does anyone have a contact ph no that we can use to pre book flights while in Australia through an agent in Yangon. We are having no luck getting contact phone numbers to check and book flights in advance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paddy and Raewyn

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights and boat trip

Have you read the latest postings on this "Top Question"from the right of this forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k5…

Do note also that tourists recently were not allowed,due to insurgency,to travel by boast out of Bhamo or Myitkyna so I would suggest you contact a recommended Myanmar Agent (using the above search feature "Agents") to get the utd position and if the regulations have been relaxed then get them to book your flights and boat

hope this helps

SS

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights and boat trip

You want to travel by boat , you can flow with Shwe Keinnery river cruise from Bagan to Mandalay daytrip and Mandalay to Bhamo 2 days 1 night trip.

Yangon to Bagan by V I P night bus

Bagan 3~4 night

Bagan to Mandalay by river cruise

Mandalay 2~3 night

Mandalay to Bhamo by river cruise 2 days 1 night

Bhamo 1~2 night

Fly back from Bhamo to Yangon

Myitkyna is still prohibit area

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights and boat trip

Thanks for your info

We never realised that Myitkyna is a prohibited area as lonely planet says you can visit the city area

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights and boat trip

LP is correct,you can visit the town.

But as I said in my post,tourists are probably not currently being allowed to move out of the area by land or river but it is worth checking the current situation with your Myanmar Agent as in late March there were no restrictions,but things have changed since then.

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights and boat trip

I am sure that you can't fly directly from Yangon to Bhamo ( via Mandalay ). But Mandalay to Bhamo is only Myanmar Air Ways. It takes time to get ticket and not for everyday. I would like to suggest you if you like to fly there, you better fly from Yangon to Mandalay and Mandalay to Myitkyina.And then down by boat to Bhamo. It is possible.

In the other way, you fly from Yangon to Mandalay and , take a train ( 20 hours ) to Myitkyina or take a boat to Bhamo. It's possible.

All the situation are very good , you can go and visit to all around the city.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

"WARMLY WELCOME TO MYANMAR"

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights and boat trip

Thankyou for the information

7. Re: Flights and boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 06, 2014