We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandalay to Bagan

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mandalay to Bagan

what is the best way ( not flying) to get from Mandalay to Bagan? bus?train or boat? and how long does it take

any advice greatly appreciated

also Inle to Mandalay

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

I always fly (time is money), but the bus is the fastest way overland, 9~10 hours from Mandalay~Bagan. (By boat 10~12 hours, by train 10 hours or so). SImilar distance from Inle~Mandalay.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

Hi, bus is probably faster...think the actual trip is about 7 hours but the bus station is a few k's out of centre of Mandalay so factor that in. The boat ...(was going to say jetty but best described as embarkment spot!) is very central. Did the boat trip in Jan and it was 10 hours but very pleasant....room to move, clean toilets, easy to strike up conversation, scenic and cost about $35 I think. I spent 9 hours on a train which was also highly scenic but best described as eccentrically unique as once it reached about 59km it shuddered alarmingly whilst swaying to quite a degree. Theres a physics term to explain why but I forget perhaps something like resonant velocity...( dont mock me if you are a physicist and I've muddled it). It was unmissable tho...we probably mention that the 2nd most, after the beauty of Bagan when people ask about our trip.

australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

Thankyou for your excellent information, we may try the ferry to Bagan as we have plenty of time and the express bus to Inle, what is the best way to get from Inle to Mandalay, appreciate your thoughts

Mandalay, Myanmar
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

the best way mandalay to bagan is boat .it would take 12 hours ( depend on boad ) by boat from mandalay to bagan

Yangon ,Myanmar
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

Bus would be your great choice if you mind time and budget.

Boat is also good to see scenic view along Ayerwaddy river.

Enjoy.

Victoria Point...
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

Very helpful information. I am planning to travel from Mandalay to Bagan by boat in Late September and would be glad for advice about the boat you travelled on and how/where to book. Thank you.

Yangon ,Myanmar
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

If you want to book in advance, contact one famous agent recommended on TA.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

We took the boat in November 2012 and really enjoyed it. It took about 10 hours. We found it was a pleasant way to spent the day and travel from A to B at the same time.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

You should go from Mandalay to Bagan by boat is best . The boat company is Shwe Keinnery, departure time from Mandalay is 7:00 am / arrival to Bagan about 4:00 pm . You can see the beautiful Ayeyawaddy river scenes . Fare is 40 US including breakfast on boat .

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandalay to Bagan

Could anyone advice for the bus company so I can book ticket from Mandalay to Bagan? how much it is cost now? and how many times the bus operate per day?