We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

I'd like to take the Shwe Keinnery ferry from Mandalay to Bagan on April 9. I found a website where I could book in advance and received a reply from Peace House Travel wanting $45 paid in advance to them via PayPal plus a $5 delivery fee to bring tickets to our hotel. I'd rather just buy the tickets when I arrive in Myanmar on April 5 through my hotel or a Yangon travel agent but I'm worried it might fully book by then. Should I be concerned? Anyone know of a way to book directly with the ferry company? Thanks!

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

Actually I took the ferry on the 11th of March from Mandalay to Bagan. It was full but not crowded and it looked possible to book. It is a LONG trip as the river is low and there are times when th ferry needs to pushed off sandbars. It is a good day to recuperate fromhectic land travel. It took over 12 hours to go the distance. The biggest problem is scurrying up the dirt river bank at Bagan in the dark upon arrival in Bagan. !!! All part of the great adventure

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

12 hours!! That is indeed a long time. Thanks for the advice. Perhaps a have day excursion to Mingun would be enough river experience. We have only 12 days there. I know this is subjective, but would you do it again if you only had 2 days in Mandalay? My plan is for us is arrive Mandalay in morning and then go to see the Big Golden Buddah in the morning. Afernoon would be a Motorcycle cab up to Inwa(Ava), Sagaing and Amarapura for sunset at the bridge. Day 2 would be Mingun in the morning then maybe Anisakan Falls in the afternoon?.

Cutting out the ferry would give us an extra day in Bagan, assuming there is a morning flight from Mandalay to Bagan.

Thanks again.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

The boat from Mandalay to Bagan is a wonderful trip with beautiful sites an not to forget the banana throwing women. See my repport on that on …wordpress.com/2012/…

I would do it again. Be early because you want to sit outside in an easy chair and they are taken quickly. The Irrawaddy is my favorite river. Have a nice tour.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

I bought my ticket for the boat to Bagan at the hotel reception. (Ayayerwaddy River View) I paid 40 $ in november 2012 two days before departure.

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I think I'll buy my ticket when I get to Yangon or Mandalay. Of course the water festival is that week so things may be a little busier than usual. I don't really feel like dealing with the long taxi ride back to Mandalay airport.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
171 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

Hi pintofish, I took the Malikha Express boat last month from Mandalay to Bagan, price USD 43, booked with an agent, the boat left Mandalay at 8am arrived in Bagan at 6pm, we took it on a Tuesday, probably it s not daily- the boat was comfortable, a lot of seats outside and inside. It was full, but not overcrowded.

We enjoyed the trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

I took the Shwe Keinnery ferry from Bagan to Mandalay 3 years ago. I was the only foreigner on the boat, it was a good and restful journey.

South San...
Level Contributor
12 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

LOL. it's a totally different scene now. We took the ferry and it was 95 percent foreigners. We had to buy our tix through a travel agent. The boathouse was pleasant and we spent most of our time in the front get there early if you want a good spot. It's a leisurely relaxing trip and some of the views of the temple complexes from the river were great. The river was low, but we did not run aground and made good time. When we arrived in Bagan,it's a bit of a scrum getting a taxi. Know where you want to go and if you are in new Bagan the rates are higher.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

We passed the "Road to Mandalay" deluxe cruise boat firmly stuck in the middle of the river. We hit bottom several times, sometimes gravel with a scraping sound, and sometimes sand with a sudden slowing, however always got free. Several times the captain put the deckhands over the side to determine the water depth with sounding poles (long bamboo poles).

The nature of the river constantly changes, skilled river pilots come aboard for their section of knowledge.

Sherbrooke, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Mandalay to Bagan Ferry Booking

I'v tried booking the ferry to Bagan from Mandalay directly through Malikha, emailed them twice but no reply,. I'd like to book in advance. What agent did you use? And did you book it when you arrived in Mandalay or from outside the country in advance?