We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

We find that the ferry from Mandalay to Bagan takes abit long time (9-10 hours). On the map, the distance between Mandaylay and Bagan is only around 200km. We wonder if it would be faster to take bus? Can anyone advise how long does it take from Mandalay to Bagan by bus?

261 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

We were told 7 hours by bus but the bus station was out of Mandalay central, whereas the boat terminal is quite central. We chose the boat and it was very pleasant...quite soporific actually. Smooth, only one sandbank struck( 20 mins lost) reasonable snacks available and of course toilets as and when one needed. You can move around as you wish also.

Edited: 1:01 am, February 18, 2013
2. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:28 am, May 05, 2014

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Just wonder why it takes so long to travel such a short distance, as compared to 10 hours from Yangon to Bagan (700 km)? Is the road condition from Mandalay to Bagan that bad?

Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Hi there - all this info seems out of date. Our bus in the reverse direction took 5 hours and cost 7500 kyat. I can't imagine that it would be that much different in reverse. We took the bus about two weeks ago. More Mandalay info here: erohisms.com/a-how-to-for-mandalay-and-beyon…

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Could you please let me know the latest time for the night bus from mandalay to bagan? is it 8pm? Appreciate your reply....

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Could you please let me know the latest time for the night bus from mandalay to bagan? is it 8pm? Appreciate your reply....

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Just come back from the trip. The bus from Mandalay to Bagan took only 4.5 hour, including 30 min stop for lunch.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
85 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

And what about the bus? Was it confortable? Was it possible to sleep during the trip? Did you feel safe?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

The bus is very comfortable - high end coach. Bus company name is Shwe Man Thu.

Milano
Level Contributor
14 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan

Hello, I am travelling there in one week. I'll land in Mandalay at 12.15pm and need to catch a bus to Bagan. Could you please tell me where where bus departure station is? is there a way to make an early booking? any recommendation? thanks in advance.

Reply to: Bus from Mandalay to Bagan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted