We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just got back from sousse

oxfordshire
Level Contributor
283 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
just got back from sousse

hi we have just got back from a week at the royal salem in sousse. this hotel is very clean and friendly and i would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in this part of tunisia.

a word of warning to anyone about to go over there please be aware that when you go to the medina you will more than likely to have a guy come up all friendly telling you he is a waiter at your hotel and to go with him and he will show you the local wool market and the government buildings, Please do not follow him , we declined and were later informed at our hotel that this is what some people do and they are not at your hotel,we never saw this man at the hotel so it was a scam. other than that we had a lovely time so if anyone wants any info on hotel etc i am more than happy to help

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just got back from sousse

Yep. Those guys are called "touts". (If you buy a $25 carpet for $100 that is a scam!) They are everywhere. Gotta watch out.

dumfries scotland
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: just got back from sousse

Just received a letter from thomas cook to say that ther is a constuction site beside the royal beach hotel. just wondered if you could tell me how much noise there really was on site . thanku

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just got back from sousse

One would assume that from that notice, there is going to be a fair amount of noise going on. I personally would choose to stay elsewhere.

Worsop
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: just got back from sousse

Can you tell what it is like at the airport for getting a transfer to your hotel? We are going to sousse on the 18th and arrive at Monestir at 2100. We have booked our flight and hotel seperate and have no transfer yet. How much does it cost?

Cheers

leicestershire
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just got back from sousse

hi riteroo i am going to the royal salem in 2 weeks with my 13 year old daughter can i hire a fridge for the room and also a safe. is the air con ok as it will be very hot in july.i have picked this hotel because the reports are mostly good.i hope i,m right!!

smigg

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just got back from sousse

jcbagpuss

It is easy getting a taxi from Monastir Airport to Sousse - they are everywhere!

During the day you could expect to pay anything up to 15 Dinars for the fare, but after 9pm there is a 50% increase. I would set an absolute maximum of 23 Dinars (about £9.50p).

Be prepared to haggle with the taxi driver to get the price as low as you can before getting in the cab!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just got back from sousse

The best way to get rid of these "touts" I find is to reply to his "hello, remember me, I am a waiter at your hotel" by saying "Ah yes, I do remember you. By the way I noticed this morning that there wasn't any bacon and my egg was rather hard and I prefer soft centres. Also is there fresh vegetables on the menu tonight, and can you arrange some ice cream for pudding? By now he will have turned away and started walking off muttering some incoherent language. It always works for me. In fact I always hang around the entrance to the Medina just to entice this daily ritual and vary my response according to how "cheeky" I feel.

leicestershire
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: just got back from sousse

hi i am going to the royal salem 16 july with my 13 year old daughter i have seen mixed reviews and i hope its ok will there be activities etc for a teenager.Also iwould like to hire a safe and a fridge is the aircon ok.Have also booked a room with seaview hopfully!! look forward to your reply

smigg

9. Re: just got back from sousse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sousse