We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort should i go to?

Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Which resort should i go to?

I am trying to organise a holiday to Tunisia in July with my boyfriend and another couple. We are all 21 and would like a relaxing but not a boring holiday. I am looking for a resort with good night life but not one that goes on until dawn!! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort should i go to?

hi charlene,

i went to tunisia 2/3 years ago with my b'friend (we're in our 20's too) and im afraid i did not have a great experience. it probably had a lot to do with our resort as we met others over there who enjoyed theirs. we stayed near monistir in a place called skanes and do NOT go there. beaches are fantastic but it is in the middle of nowhere and there was a 'desert' behind us that we had to walk through to get to the nearest shop. do not stay in sousse either as its quite dirty. the best place as far as i could see and from recommendations from others afterwards (!!) is port el kantoui. its a man made resort but it has lovely hotels and a gorgeous marina with tons of restaurants etc.

bit of advice-be aware of taxi's always get price b4 u get in as otherwise u will get ripped off big time. also, u will have to haggle for everything and the harrassment is so draining.tunisia is an unusual country and i would recommend the sahara tour but it is pricey and you could be a contestant on survivor after it!!!!nightlife is not great and drink is very expensive, especially in hotels. oh, and on the topic of hotels be wary of ratings as they are not the same as ireland/britain.we stayed in a 4* and while they look amazing from the outside rooms are generally basic and dreary. hope this helps but i would strongly recommend a holiday in crete instead if you havent been there, its fantastic!!!!

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort should i go to?

Hi,

IF you want relaxed but not boring i would recomend Taj Maharba, Sousse, one of the bast hotels and most of trips are reasonable and just a short walk to the beach... it also has its own attached shopping center! - not far from the English pub too! - not far away from the main nightlife, but far enough away so you can get some sleep.

Tunisia's what you make it, yes thier country is not like ours, (if it was we all wouldnt want to go - right?

Yes in the summer the sewers do smell.... fact of life in tunisia i'm afrade..

But then for the ugly bits of the trip, there are some great things to see....

Hope this helps

leicester,england
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort should i go to?

PORT EL KANTOUI,this is where we have just got back from and we stayed in the sol el mourdi,it has a nightclub onsite and we were there every night partying this is a very clean and tidy hotel and so is the area and is purposly built for tourists,and the staff are very friendly in this hotel you dont really have to go offsit as everything you need is right next to or in the hotel the beach is right next to this hotel so is virtually straight out your back door with 3 pools i would definatly recommend this resort and the hotel you cant knock it for nothing.ps food is ok aswell and none of us 11 women got a bad stomach....like you do in spain!

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort should i go to?

Mmmm Gona disagree with the other posts here. We have stayed in Skanes and though it was fantastic. Yes there isnt a lot to do outside the hotel, but because it is central you can get to many other places including Kantoui easily in a cheap taxi. Tunisia isnt a place to go if you want a lot of nightlife. It is a muslim country and alchol is largely confined to the hotels, which in turn are more family based. We visited Kantoui and were not i mpressed. It is a purpose built resort which feels a bit like blackpool with sun shine. We couldnt figure out why anyone would stay there as they might as well have gone to spain / blackpool. The best advice i can give is where ever you stay, remember this is a poor country and as a result hotel star ratings and about one star less in quality to what you would expect. So if you book a 4 star it will feel more like a 3 star

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort should i go to?

Forget Tunisia, go to Sharm el Sheik and stay in Sharm centre, you will love it.

6. Re: Which resort should i go to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sousse