We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Which Sousse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Tunisia is a great Place to go for a holiday, my self; I have been going to Sousse year after year, for over 10 years.

Once you get used to the Tunisian way of life, im sure you will really enjoy it.

My mother worked over there as a tour rep for 4 years, so through her and going myself I generally can give a good idea of most of the sousse hotels as that is where we always stay.

Shopping - yes the bartering can be a grind, yes they will get you to buy something, but if you are firm usually they will take the hint. After all they are only trying to earn a living. Or if bartering is not for you, there are many shops that do have fixed prices if you prefer. (The Soula Center in Sousse)

Trips, usually can be arranged by your tour rep, don’t forget to go to your rep meeting, as they can advise you when, how much and where they are to.

Night life, the best I have heard about is Borabora an open air nightclub in Kazama (between sousse and PEK) - next to it is also Escape.

They generally run between March and September till the early hours of the morning.

(Though they may close early if Ramadan falls within those months)

Most of the hotels do have the stray cats, the kittens are cute - but unfortunately they are strays and can carry illness.

The town of Sousse is very clean in general, and the people of Sousse are very friendly.

Weather - usually very warm, don't forget the suntan cream, you don't want to be a lobster on the first day - the sun in Tunisia is very strong as there is little pollution.

Also, don’t forget your two pin plugs!

Children - The Tunisians love children, some hotels do cater for children, some do not - check with your operator

Money - The Tunisian Dinar is a closed currency - you can change at the airport/hotel/bank - all the rates should be the same. Please be aware not to change too much at a time later in your holiday, as the airport will charge you to change it back.

If you do not change it back you will have to declare it to customs before you get to departures and you will loose it.

There are plenty of ATM's about that can be used in most tourist towns..

Food/drink - good selection - just about everything is catered for, all I will say is - like at home, if you’re not sure don't eat it. Don’t drink the tap water - bottled water is very cheap. Local sprits/beers are available ours maybe but can be expensive.

When you get your bill for anything while eating/drinking out, please ask to see it, I have had occasions to help tourists while out, where the local waiters have been overcharging! Not on at all..

One place I would highly recommend to eat at night, is a place opposite El Hanna Hotel in Sousse, "The Albatross" Their peppered steak is to die for and their fresh fish is also very nice. You will not have to worry about the price either, i have never heard of any reports of overcharging there and the staff have been the same for many years and are very friendly.

Look out for the "English Standard" On the beach in Sousse, the best part of the beach to get a tan!

Hope this gives you a hint of what to expect, as with any country, it has its good points and its bad points - but I’m sure if you go with the right frame of mind you will want to go back again! - I know i did!

Useful links:

Tunisian Transport: http://www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm

Tunisian Weather: holiday-weather.com/country/…index.html

If you have anything that i can help you with please send me a message.

Sheffield
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Hello Sousselover,

I am very impressed by your knowledge of Sousse and wondered if you would mind answering a few questions? I am going to the Hotel Jinene on my own in February for 2 wks. I trawl thru the forums and just get confused. I am 59 yrs of age and blonde and am a little concerned that safety may be an issue. Do women eat out alone in Tunisis? I also would like to visit PEK. What type of dress should I wear whilst out and about? Will the Noddy train be in operation and where do I catch it? Is the sea warm enough to paddle in and will I get a suntan!!? I am aware that the weather will be cooler at night so that isn't a problem as I do not intend going out then, unless it's a trip. I may visit the medina but am not really bothered as I don't want to be hassled. I've been really ill for a long time and just want to relax and get some winter sunshine to help me feel better able to cope at home. Thankyou so much for any help you are able to give. Glittergran

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Hi GlitterGran,

Sounds like you need some R&R there, and your going to the right place!

Now, Your questions:

Yes, you may get hassle (as we all do) You will be very safe, just be firm but friendly if they hassle you and let it go over your head. They actually mean no harm, it's just the way they are and have grown up to be. I have been on my own many times, and I know I can walk around without being worried or scared at any time of day or night!

PEK is a tourist magnet, so dress as you like. I've walked around the marina in a strappy top and jeans. You ware whatever you like!( within reason lol)

Only if your going into the medina or on a trip to another place like El Jem for instance, yes I would cover my shoulders/arms/legs etc just out of respect.

If you want to go shopping without the hassle, do to the soula centre (just near the entrance to the Medina in Sousse), there are fixed prices and they should not hassle you.

At the moment the temperatures are in the 60's and no rain (or snow!) you may get a tan if you ware walking around, March/April is when the weather really starts to get warmer.. But I'm sure you'll enjoy a paddle, if you don't mind it being a little cold lol

Now you have a good relaxing time in sousse, and don't worry i'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

SousseLover!

Sheffield
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Thankyou so much Sousselover, you've put my mind at rest. I love watching boats and going on them so the marina will be great and something to look forward to. I don't mind 60 degrees! I booked this on the spur of the moment, but will try later in the year next time-I'm sure there will be one. Just having a walk in the sun and on the sand will do me a power of good. Hope the snow doesn't follow me!LOL.

The travel agent said it would be red hot so she won't get a pressie! Thanks again, and if you want any advice I'll be here. By the way I'm taking my sense of humour with me. Glittergran.

Hammam Sousse...
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

How did it go GlitterGran?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
694 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

hi sousselover...

U seem to have a fab knowledge of this place so would be grateful if you could help me with a few queries!!

Me partner and i are both 21 and were looking to come to Tunisia in Oct this year. We arent sure at all about booking at this time of year as we are a young couple and are looking to have a few bars clubs etc avail to go to ... Are they open, busy etc?

Also we arent sure about what area is best for this in Tunisia... some peolpe say Hammamet and some sat Sousse!! Im very confusd and could do with some help!!

Europe
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

>>>

are looking to have a few bars clubs etc avail to go to ... Are they open, busy etc?

<<<

A simple and clear statement: If you go into holidays for entertainement in bars and clubs, Tunisia is the wrong place to go, consider a country on the European side of the mediterranean sea instead. :-)

public_house
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Yes there are a few clubs bars to go to in sousse.

They are quite busy and goo fun.

To name a couple: The Saloon, Living, Arena.

Yeah it's not mental or anything but they are really good places and play some quality music.

London,UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Hi - thinking of going to Tunisia for christmas december 09 with hubby - I am not into hot weather-and I gather it won't be sunbathing weather but will it be warm enough to walk around or chilly?

Europe
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

December will certainly be chilly, usual windy, expect occasional rain as well. Temperatures will be around 20 in the day and in the sun, but can go down to 5 at night. The water is suited for swimming, if one is a hard-core swimmer, water temperatures will be around 20 and below.

This applies as well for the months January, February and March with January and February being the coldest months.

Some days can be warmer, some days can be colder - you never know, but after all, it is winter and you should be prepared.

Sheffield
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough Guide to Sousse/Tunisia

Hya Sousselover, Sorry, I haven't replied but only just seen your message. To answer your question. I LOVED it. Certainly a very different culture and ideas of approach to ours. I never had a smile off my face the whole two weeks and was told that if they charged for smiles, I'd be paying a fortune!! You don't need to do much for a laugh, just watch what goes on around you. When the locals argue, it's hilarious and their cheek is unbelievable.

I went bak in April for two weeks 'cos I got a fella over there. Sort of still testing the water a bit and I spent more than I would normally due to him not having much even though he was working most of the time.

The weather in February was rubbish, but in Apl. it was very hot at times although there was some heavy rain some days. Everyone says they've never seen me so happy and relaxed, so it was the best tonic I could have had. I'm going back in July so it must be ok. Once the locals get used to you being around they don't bother you, but I was in the town centre in April and it's much busier.

Have you settled down Sousselover? Glittergran