We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graeco-Roman Museum

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Graeco-Roman Museum

hello! would like to ask if the Graeco-Roman museum is open or not. thanks!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
296 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graeco-Roman Museum

It wasn't in November 2006. With the speed of progress in Egypt I doubt it will be open yet.

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Graeco-Roman Museum

The Greco-Roman museum is still currently closed and undergoing extensive renovations, and when I checked with the tourist information office in Alex a month or two ago they said it would probably remain closed for at least another year or two!! FYI the Royal Jewellery Museum is also closed for renovations.

Don't despair however, the excellent (and relatively new) National Museum is open and well worth a look. It's housed in a fabulous mansion that once belonged to a wealthy wood merchant and was used for a spell by the US Consulate. The mummification exhibit is downstairs in what was originally the wine cellar! The basement is given over to pharaonic treasures, then the upper floors house Greco-Roman, Islamic, Coptic and "modern" exhibits in different sections. It's an excellent museum, and everything is well laid out, labelled and lit. It's also air conditioned - in fact the AC works a little TOO well in my opinion... each time I have gone in there I've almost frozen to death, so you may want to take a sweater with you - lol!

Enjoy your visit!

3. Re: Graeco-Roman Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 31, 2009