We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

hyderabad
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Hi,

I am visiting Bucharest from 2 May to 5 May. I want to plan a day trip and cover both Dracula castle and painted monastries and return to Bucharest same day. What is the best way to go about and approximate cost.

thanks

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

I'm not sure what you mean.

It would be very difficult to visit both Dracula's castle (I assume you're referring to Bran castle) and the painted monasteries in a single day even if you would travel by car, they are quite far from each other - driving from Bucharest to Bran would take about three hours and then it's another six hours drive from Bran to the area with the monasteries.

Edited: 3:24 pm, March 23, 2010
hyderabad
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Thanks for the information. I will plan to visit in two days.

Regards.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Given that you only have from May 2 to May 5, I think what you are proposing is close to impossible. I assume that you want to spend some time touring in Bucharest so there is at least 2 days of your trip taken up. Plus you have your arrival and departure day which reduces your time in Bucharest.

Also, if you are going to visit Bran Castle, then you will also pass Peles castle in Sinaia, the old citadel of Rasnov and you will be very close to the city of Brasov. As well, the fortified churches at Fagaras, Harman and Prejmer are nearby. There are at least 3-4 days touring just in this area. By the way, Brasov, Rasnov and Peles Castle are all far more interesting than Bran Castle and it was never actually Vlad Dracul's castle either.

If you are desperate to see the Painted Monasteries, consider taking an internal flight from Bucharest to Iasi and hire a car to see the monasteries. This will not be a cheap option and the driving on some of the minor roads is very challenging as they can be in a very poor state with large holes and sections of road completely missing.

If you do choose to drive to the Painted Monasteries from Bran Castle, then remember that you will have a 9-10 hour return drive to Bucharest, which is a waste of your holiday in Romania.

hyderabad
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. All doubts I had are now cleared. I will try to plan as advised by you.

Regards,

marcopolo

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

As mentioned above Bran castle isn't particularly interesting and you should spend more time in Brasov - but if you really, really want to do it you could get to both areas in two days, even using public transport.

On the first day take an early train from Bucharest to Brasov (three-four hours, tickets start at €5), then a bus to Bran (40 minutes, costs less than €1), visit the castle and get back to Brasov.

Visit Brasov's old quarter then take the night train from Brasov to Suceava (tickets start at €14). Suceava is the largest city in the region in which the monasteries are scattered through, you can to most of them from there (but you won't have time for all of them in one day)

The simplest choice would be to take a train/bus to Gura Humorului (a town one hour away from Suceava, tickets start at €1.3) and visit Humor or Voronet monasteries, both are within walking range of that town.

After you see the monasteries you can either get back to Suceava and catch one of several trains to Bucharest or wait for the direct night train (starts at €14)

You can search for train timetables on http://infofer.ro/

If you want to travel by plane it would be better to fly directly to Suceava, there are direct flights daily from Bucharest operated by TAROM ( http://www.tarom.ro/en/ ) and tickets start at about €35 if booked in advance.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Romania
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

you have to short time for including the painted monastery !

best is to cover only south transilvania the places that mention!

if you insist to visit the monastery take return local fly to suceava , you have to know the train that mention from brasov to suceava are only 1 and 2 seat class with no sleep option.

so you can fly to suceava and bake to bucharest and from bucharest to make day trip to brasova area and soraunding .

Israel
Destination Expert
for Romania
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

another option is to take a night train with sleep option :

BUCHAREST NORD - GURA HUMORULUI ORAS

buy return tickets cost you :

6 bed cabin 117 lei

4 bed cabin 130 lei

2 bed cabin 203 lei [first class]

from bucharest depart 21:02 and arrived at 05:00

from GURA HUMORULUI ORAS depart 23:38 arrived 07:46

8. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:50 am, May 07, 2010
hyderabad
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Thanks!!!! This is really helpful.

regards

Brasov
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bucharest to dracula castle and painted monastries

Is there any chance that you may be a little bit confused with the "painted monasteries"? - I'm asking you this, because besides the monasteried in Moldova region (such as Voronet http://bit.ly/bqxeiJ ,Sucevita http://bit.ly/dvqicg , and many others ) another great tourist attraction is the Happy Cemetery in Sapanta (this one is also very popular for tourist - where local people commemorate death by sharing funny stories of the ones burried and the grave crosses inscriptions are written in funny rhymes and lively painted! http://bit.ly/aLIYc9 ) - and this spot in not precisely "near" the Monasteries - there are almost 400 km between these two attraction spots.

Hope this was helpful, too

Edited: 5:43 pm, May 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Brasov