We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks and Advice we experienced on our trip

Which Brasov hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks and Advice we experienced on our trip

Firstly many thanks for everyones help in helping our trip so enjoyable. I have listed a couple of things people may find helpful. I'm sure previous posts have covered majority of things however thought it would be good to put a quick summary I think will help other travellers.

Airport -

Avoid chaning Sterling into Lei at the airport we received 3.6 Lei to the pound when in Brasov we received 4.7 Lei to the pound.

Avoid being ripped off by the taxis at the airport, we were quoted prices ranging from 140 Euro's to 50 Euro's to take us to the Gare Du Nord train station. Take the 205 bus, that goes from the street approximately 200 yards. The bus stop is not directly outside the airport its approximately 300 yards away to the left as you leave the airport.

Do not expect to do any shopping at the airport it is very basic and cannot remember a shop, only a small cafe which can get very busy.

Brasov -

I would recommend staying at the Fairy Tale hostel it costs approximately £10 per head and the owner is very friendly and willing to help with any queries. It was booked with Hostel.com.

Get to Bran early. It does get very busy, we were slightly disapointed with the castle, but make your own mind up.

I would recommend Signossa restaurant. It is just down from the Black Church towards the bus stops. It served traditional Romanian food and was very nice with a good atmosphere and is children friendly.

Taxis are cheap however make sure you are on the meter.

Poinia is a very nice place to visit and the cable car is well worth the visit.

Mammia -

Stayed at Fantasy Beach which was taken over by the Golden Tulip group. Rooms were fairly small, however the rest of the hotel made up for it. Breakfast was great, location even better. You can avoid the tourist traps by turning left out of the hotel, walk 5 minutes and there are dozens of cheap restaurants / shops. At least half price as those similar to the main street.

Again watch for taxis and drivers at Constanta station. I would recommend the bus which will drop you right outside hotel and is a fraction of the price.

After this Romanis is definately a place to visit, and I look forward to returning.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Gareth

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks and Advice we experienced on our trip

Nice to see you enjoyed Romania.

I'd just like to point out that in the "Airport" part you're referring to Bucharest's secondary Baneasa airport, not to the main one (Otopeni) .

Cardiff
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks and Advice we experienced on our trip

Apologies quite correct.

Romania is a fantastic place to visit, I would also visit before the UK tour operators start taking over hotels.

3. Re: Thanks and Advice we experienced on our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 06, 2009