We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

If anyone can make suggestions I'd appreciate a bit of help. We need to choose between going from Sighisoara to Sinaia to Brasov

or:

Sighisoara to Sibiu.

We know that the first option will involve a lot more driving. Is it worth it in order to see the castle at Peles? or not worth the extra long drive?? We only have two days to do this part of our trip.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sighisoara
Sighisoara
Mures County, Romania
Sinaia
Sinaia
Prahova County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

As you say you'll be in a hurry, it's probably better to go to Sibiu (it would be relatively easy to get to Brasov, but then the road between Brasov and Sinaia might be very crowded and you could get delayed).

Mentioned in this post
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sinaia
Sinaia
Prahova County, Romania
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

Peles and Pelesor isn't really that much genuine Romanian rooted history. I find them quite charming in their own way, but for a genuine experience I suggest to choose differently.

(I am a little bit baffled by your suggested itineraries. Why do you have to end one itinerary in Brasov and the other in Sibiu? There is actually some really interesting sites situated right in-between the main roads ...)

So I would ditch Sinaia and instead include the following stages in the 2 day trip

* Sighisoara-Brasov-Bran: This stage is a bit long, but the road is good and scenic, especially in the southernly direction IMO. Bran is worth the side trip, just dont stay too long -- but the castle itself is impressive

* Medias-Mosna-Barghis-Agnita-etc: There is a small but passable road that heads southeast from Medias and through a pearlstring of Saxon villages down towards the Fagaras mountains. Take a sidetrip in the beginning to Biertan east of Medias, and end it for a beautiful contrast in the Brancovenesc-style monastery in Sambata ... where you can also have a meal and/or spend the night.

* Balea Lac

* Sibiu including a side trip to Cisnadioara, the oldest saxon fortified church, perched beautifully on a hilltop in the middle of the village.

You can compose your two day trip from these pieces. It is definitely doable, I have done Sibiu-Biertan-Sighisoara-Brasov-Bran-Balea Cascada-Sibiu in one and a half days on one occasion, and Sibiu-Brasov-Bran-Agnita-Sibiu as a daytrip, and Medias-Sambata-Sibiu-Medias as another daytrip. So the above, while a bit stretched, is almost all "unmissable" and should really be included.

Mentioned in this post
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Sinaia
Sinaia
Prahova County, Romania
Sighisoara
Sighisoara
Mures County, Romania
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

We were going to do Sinai so we could go to the Peles Castle instead of the castle in Bran. Hmm? We could drop Brasov and do Sibiu, but aren't they kind of similar?

Mentioned in this post
Peles Castle
Peles Castle
3,312 Reviews
Sinaia, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

Peles and Pelesor are just a 19th century folly of an imported noble family which were put on the throne of Romania, and started "creating" the history to go with it.

Bran, although it was done up in "medieval" style by the royal family, is a genuine and impressive medieval fortress with a historical and political importance, placed as it is in a narrow valley where it held control of a key trade route in medieval times.

Brasov vs. Sibiu: Just 4-5 years ago, I would have said the same. But Sibiu has really developed, I was there last in May 07 and I was amazed to see how the streets and squares were bustling with life. There are restaurants and very charming cafes dotted all over the city centre. One can easily spend a pleasant evening or two in Sibiu, I wouldn't say the same for Brasov, sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

I agree 100% with hanschr. Sibiu is a far more relaxed destination than Brasov, especially the old town, and the castle at Bran is spectacular - just get there early to beat the crowds.

In Sinai you're better off doing some of the mountain walks than visiting the castle - to the Ialomiţa Cave and Monastery for example.

Mentioned in this post
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
6. Re: help with itiniery - Brasov and Sinai or Sibiu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 17, 2009