We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out

Reading
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out

Our U16 football team will be staying at the Imperial (Plovdiv) in July on half board and we would like any suggestions for where or what for lunch in case they get bored with the hotel food!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Imperial
Hotel Imperial
180 Reviews
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out

There is a chain of restaurants called happy bar and grill. There is one in the centre of Plovdiv near the Macdonald's. It is a more western version of Bulgarian food. This would be your best bet. There is not a large variety of food. You can get bulgarian pizza by the slice just about everywhere. It's not bad.

Mentioned in this post
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Plovdiv Province, Bulgaria
Reading
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out

Thanks for that, it was looking like nobody goes there!

They will be there for 6 days so looks like Macdonalds most days! Very healthy for a football tournament!, will make sure they take some energy boosters.

Are the prices reasonable?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out

You got the wrong impression from the posts here. The "happy bar and grill" is very good, but also there are numerous restaurants with great food. Lots of vegetables, cooked and in salads (you will love the Shopska salad), great bread, wonferful icecream sold on the pedesterian area. Cafes with good cakes and pastry, and of course grilled and cooked meat. They have many kinds of kebab (grilled meat patties), the cooked meat can be roasted or with vegetables. Some served in a clay dish called GUVETCHE. Also many dishes of beans and rice, potatoes and so on....its a long list. Prices are low. You will love it. I am sorry I did not keep the cards of the restaurants where I ate about 2 years ago in Plovdiv. One speciallity that I liked very much as a long pepper, roated, peeled, filled with cheese and egg and deep fried. Yummy! If you get bored with the food at the hotel you can go and eat out, as it is not expensive, you could probably afford it.

ENJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out

McDonalds? Pity you!- being in Bulgaria and eating in McD...

Anyway, it's up on you. You have one McD about 10 minutes walking distance from Imperial hotel, same is less than 5 minutes walking from the stadium where I assume you'll be training.

Nearby the Imperial hotel it was student's area, so there are many small restaurants with good food in the small streets around (less than 5 minutes walking)

After the McD I mentioned, there is other wide students area where you can eat actually everything and in any way and environment- street-eating of pizza slice or dunner, average level restaurant (yet the food quality even in those is much above the McD's one), etc.

Also, the Imperial is at 1 Euro (for taxi) or 15-20 minutes walking distance from the very downtown

So the food is definitely not a concern, and yet it's cheap in Bulgaria, not reflecting in the quality

Have a pleasant stay there

Mentioned in this post
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out

shoshi,

I guess you ate "chushka buirek".

If you remember at least names of restaurants, I'll send you their contact data... as thanks for your efforts in Bulgarian forum, I appreciate it

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,418 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out

Dear Stela

I was born in Bulgaria and lelt many, many years ago.Still I feel a bit "Bulgarian". Bulgarian food has influenced our food in Israel very much. And of course what I eat and serve my family. I hope to visit again in the near future.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Out

Dear Shoshi

You are warmly welcome back in Bulgaria

I know a bit about similarities&differences of our countries by a friend who worked about 8 years in Volkani institute. Anyway, yet I didn't meet in person a foreign person, from any country, who did not find in Bulgaria food satisfying him/her... and I had guests (friends,friends of friends,co-workers,friends of co-workers,bosses...) from many countries.

Pity that we anyway don't have the feedback of the UK football team for their stay in Plovdiv...

Mentioned in this post
Plovdiv
Plovdiv
8. Re: Eating Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:02 am, January 23, 2008
9. Re: Eating Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 16, 2009