My girlfriend and I will be in Croatia during the last week of September and first week of October.
Had a few questions regarding the 2 drives mentioned above as this would be the first time for us in Europe.
1. Should I go for manual or automatic transmission car - I would rate myself 6.5/10 for driving on steep hills. So, are the 2 routes tough to drive on? Does it include lot of steep hills? How much does the navigation help?
2. For Split to Mostar what would be the best possible route. Browsing other questions, I have found 2 major routes
a) E65 Adriatic Highway towards Brela, turn left onto a main (red) road, cross the border at Posusje and continue to Mostar
b) E65 right down to where it crosses the BiH border and then turn up the E73 to Mostar
Which one would be easier to navigate(based on route conditions) and given I will be crossing the border on a weekday roughly around noon time - how much time would the drive take?
3. Similarly for Mostar to Dubrovnik, found 2 main options
a) Mostar -> Capljina -> Metkovic - Opuzen -> Neum -> Dubrovnik
b) Mostar -> Ljubinje -> Trebinje -> Dubrovnik
Again, same question as #2, which one would be easier and the time taken roughly(again on a weekday)
4. Any recommendations for car rentals?
5. Any other things which I should be careful about? I read a green card is needed for crossing the border. Is that about it ?
Basically, we don't mind spending a little extra time on the road as long as it is safe and scenic.
Thanks in advance