We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

2 posts
Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

Hello! Can anybody tell me if its possible to drive from Mostar to Lukomir and drive back to Mostar on the same day? How long is the travelling time? How is the road condition?

Thanks for any guidance!

7 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
516 reviews
1. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

Mostar - Sarajevo is around 2 hrs drive

Sarajevo - Lukomir 1 1/2 (but you actually leave Mostar - Sarajevo road in Hadzici, before Sarajevo)

https:/…422

How to get to Lukomir by car / bicycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNj228CJ4cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_g87wX6_s

I would not try it without 4WD

2 posts
2. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

Thanks @424tarikd for all the guidance. Further, I would like to enquire about the route via Konjic which is being shown in the the google map as the shortest route from Mostar to Lukomir. Is that road condition not good or not recommended?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
516 reviews
3. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

It should be possible to use that route - it is marked as regional road (R) connecting Boracko lake and Glavaticevo, where is a large dam, with Mt Bjelasnica

https:/…18.1425

I myself have never been to Umoljani, Lukomir - or to Boracko lake. I came as far as Bjelasnica ski centre - where the good paved road leads

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
338 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

We drove to Lukomir from Jajce a few years ago, using the route from the main highway just north of Konjic. We did it in a regular car but there were a few tricky spots, a high clearance vehicle would be best but it's doable with a car. Leaving we took a different route eastbound as we were enroute to Visegrad, that was much better road.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
447 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

I think the route you're getting in google maps is Konjic - Dzepi - Vrdolje - Lukomir. It may be tricky. I didn't try it myself, but looking at the pictures that google shows, it may be a LOT of unpaved road:

https:/…6595553576717334738

Photo is from 2010 though.

Unpaved roads take a while, like you drive 10-15km per hour, so do take that into account when planning a day trip. Also, not every road that google shows is actually there I think and not every road that looks like a main road is actually a main road (see R434)! It was like that back in 2016 at least, not sure whether they improved this. Always try using multiple sources, like the MAPS.ME app (has good offline maps), Openstreetmap, HERE, etc., not just google maps.

You may want to consider staying in Umoljani or Tusila for a night. It is a nice experience, though the accommodations are very basic (and dirt cheap).

We drove the road Umoljani - Tusila - Odzaci, and it was the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life. Road was partly unpaved, but only a few kilometres, and they were actually paving the road. Then we drove from Odzaci to Konjic and then onto Mostar. The part between Konjic and Mostar is also very nice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
338 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

@flydrivehike, Konjic - Dzepi - Vrdolje - Lukomir is the route we took. It's all unpaved except the very beginning after you turn off the main Konjic-Sarajevo highway. The pic in your link is a good section, there were about two trouble spots, but we managed them with a regular car. Took about 90 minutes to reach Lukomir, and its beautiful scenery, you drive through pasture land and small hamlets. Yes, it's a very good idea to spend the night up there, like in Umoljani.

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
3,671 reviews
7. Re: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car

I was in Umoljani and Lukomir in August, leaving from Konjic..

The shortest road on gmpas in not good and it is not recommended.

I went by my car to Hadzici and then, following the road to Igman-Bjelasnica, to Umoljani (village and Studeni potok trail)

If you want to go to Lukomir, 5-6 km before the village, you have to follow directions to Milisici (there are directions to Brda , Rasaniovici, Kramari).. when you are on the unpaved road, you have about 14-15 km (1h and more) for Lukomir).

We had a trip in a day, leaving from Konjic and and going to Sarajevo..

PS. If you like, you can have a trail from Umoljani to Lukomir, too.. about 6 h.

Reply to: Mostar to Lukomir Mountain Village by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mostar