We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Lake Tahoe, Nevada...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hello;

My wife, Russian - Russian & English speaker, and myself, only English speaker, are considering relocating to either Sevastopol or Odessa for a few months this summer - fall. Therefore hoping to make contacts with others either living there, or are familiar with the area. My wife loves to swim in the ocean, so being on or near the beach would be great. Am happy as long as can get a decent internet connection.

Is it possible to rent a furnished villa or flat with sea view by the month in Sevastopol? Have found hotels, etc here but am not finding any villas or flats with a sea view. Recommendations?

Can one buy groceries at the local market, etc speaking only English? Ok, recognize that the price might increase a little, but is it possible?

Anyone have any guesses as to if one can easily find other native English speakers in Sevastopol?

Thanks in advance;

PDE

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hello Petro,

There are some houses available for rent and located right in Sevastopol. I said "right in Sevastopol" cause Sevastopol trying to become tourist place but still suffer from lack of relative infrastructure, as city was and is naval base + there are much more houses for rent at nearby settlements like Uchkuevka.

I would not recommend to expect meeting locals who speak English. As for local market purchases - show them what you want :) and they will sell it. With the help of fingers you can indicate needed amount of what you want. Note that we get used to measure in kilograms more than purchasing by per item.

As for Odessa - situation with villas are much better. As for the rest, pretty much the same as in Sevastopol.

Edited: 3:50 am, January 18, 2011
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hi PDE :) Welcome to Ukraine forum!

As Anna said, do not expect any English spoken at the local markets (bazaars).

However, you do not need to know much Russian to be able to shop there successfully. Perhaps the main phrases you’re going to need (I’m sure your wife can pronounce them for you) are the following:

Pochom? – How much?

A deshevle? – And cheaper?

Dajte kilogram (dva, tri, polkilo) – Give me one kilo (two, three, half kilo)

And, of course, you will need to know the numbers: desyat’ griven (UAH 10), dvadtsat’ griven (UAH 20) etc.

I'm sure you'll get used to it pretty fast :)

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

I was to Sevastopol several times - never noticed anything like villas with sea view exacly in the city... Spotted some "lookinglike" - but more out of city - 15 mins drive SE direction - probably at capes Vynogradnyj, Lermontova, Fiolent - but shore is rocky and high there (about 50m).

About expats - from my experience on other forums - I've got impression - that in Sevastopol there is quite big commynity of English speakirs - mainly Americans who moved there - buying properties and starting families, businesses etc - you may try find at some expat forums.

About markets - surely - not big problem speaking only English - but if you want to save a bit of money - do as Ukrainians - send your wife to do the shopping... :)

About Odesa - yes - there (or near) - it'd be easier to find something like villa or flat with sea view. Odesa is more western-like - comparing to more soviet-like Sevastopol.

Edited: 5:58 am, January 18, 2011
4. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 pm, January 27, 2011
Edited: 2:42 pm, January 27, 2011
5. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 pm, January 27, 2011
Sevastopol
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hi ... yes Me .. I am Australian ... gregoryLawler@bigpond.com

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hi Gregory! Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

If I may advise, it’s better to avoid posting your e-mail address on the open forum. At the very least, you are making yourself spam-vulnerable.

You might probably want to send a private message to the original poster instead? Unfortunately, Petro never seemed to come to this thread.

To remove your post with your e-mail address, click on “Report inappropriate content” button in your post and choose “Remove my post” option in the drop-down menu.

Lake Tahoe, Nevada...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

Hello;

Sorry to give the impression that am not here. Have been reading the replies and keeping too busy at work. Thanks for all the replies and information.

PDE

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

No problem :) Thanks for letting know you do follow the thread.

Sebastopol
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there many Expat's or Englisher speakers in Sevastopol?

A lot of them. Especially in the summer.