We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone here ever visited Balaklava?

St. Petersburg
5 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone here ever visited Balaklava?

I would like to get feedback about Balaklava as destination point. Maybe those who are interested in the War of 1852 has something to say? :) What I want is some feedback about the town, it's touristic attraction, e.t.c.

I myself don't have much to say, but I would like to share some pictures I took last summer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimean_tourist/

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone here ever visited Balaklava?

I saw your photos, Speereo, - you are real romantick :-) As fro me, you reflected a real atmosphere of that palce. " Small London", as they said in the Europe in 1854-1856. As I remeber. Eastern war started 1854, but Crimean period was 1854-1855. Thanks!

And, sure, Balaclava is not a hat, but very old town :-) , with 2.500 years of history.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone here ever visited Balaklava?

Hi Speereo,

Many thanks for sharing your photos - loved them!

I’m not quite sure about your question though - I assume you have already visited the destination, so why would you want to hear any post-factum recommendations?

Well, here you go anyway. I’ve been to Balaklava several times and I just adore this small cozy picturesque town and its fascinating bay!

Its must-sees depend on personal preferences, so I’ll mention just a few things worth visiting in or around Balaklava: Underground submarine maintenance plant; Ruins of Chembalo fortress; Balaklava valley (aka Valley of the Death); St.George Monastery; 12 Apostles Temple.

A mere walk around the town - along the bay, or the quays, or by its famous summer houses (dachas) as well as visiting its numerous beaches can be an attraction itself.

There are also many amazing scenery spots nearby Balaklava: Cape Fiolent, Cape Aya, Cape Sarych (a little bit further). You can also get to Inkerman and Sevastopol from Balaklava.

3. Re: Has anyone here ever visited Balaklava?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, October 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sevastopol