We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

Which Kotor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

Hi,

We are planning a day trip from Dubrovnik to Kotor/Budva (Kotor only if not enough time) returning to Dubrovnik the same day. When I plan the drive on Via Michelline the route given is inland involving 2 border crossings into Montenegro yet the coast road E-80 that goes to Cavtat south seems more direct, probably better conditions and faster. Can anyone enlighten me on:

(1) is it best to concentrate on Kotor and spend the day there or try to return to Dubrovnik via Budva?

(2) what is the best route to take (we are driving our own vehicle) - inland or the Croatian coastal road via Cavtat?

(3) what to see and do in Kotor?

Much appreciated,

Colette

Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

Hi there,

The best way to come down is on the coast road, down past Cavat and the Airport.

Make sure you get a green card at the border if your car hire has not already provided one for you. Its an international insurance card. You'll need it when you are crossing back into Croatia.

If I were you I'd forget about Budva, especially if you have been spending time around Dubrovnik. The best thing about Budva is its old town which is similar to the one in Dubrovnik. Apart from that Budva is just a busy resort that is only good for nightlife.

Instead spend the day absorbing the beauty that is Kotor Bay.

The whole entire bay is drop dead gorgeous. Stop in Risan, Check out Perast, where you can absorb the Venetian architecture and take a short boat trip to Gospa od Skrpjela. In Kotor you can climb the 1350 steps up to St John Fort were you can take in the amazing views of the bay before getting lost in old town Kotor.

For an epic dinner on your way back to Dubrovnik try Bokeski Gusti or Konoba Marius in Prcanj. Bothof which have seating on the waterfront and excellent food. If you go that way you'll be returning home via the ferry. Or alternatively there is Konoba Catovic Mlini in Morinj which excellent as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

Thank you so very much. I live in Slovakia, yes 9 years (too long) so have EU car plates and my insurance is paid up.

This is what I thought as it seems Kotor is unique. We;ll do as you suggest and thanks for the tip about eating on the way back.

I will report as we travel, the tour is all planned, 2977 km, 18 nights in hotels/private apts/B&B's with sightseeing alternating between the coast, islands and inland, historical vs nature.

Wish us luck!

Colette Z.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

drive down past the old town and around the corner and you might be able to find a place to park, a lot of the parking lots were full when we were there. theres an old closed hotel (think it was called hotel fjord??) across the road from where we were

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

Dont bother!, We drove from dubrovnik to Kotor on 10/08/12. Stood still in traffic for 3 hours going and 3 hours 10 minutes on our return. People falling asleep at the wheel whilst cars stood still for 20 minutes or so before moving another 30 meters up the que. an absoulutley pointless waste of a day of our holiday. Montenegro is a completley backward disfunctional country, rubbish everywhere, roads disgraceful, nothing works and everything seems old and broken. How this country was allowed to join the EEC heaven knows. Kotor is nice but definatley not worth the 6 hours 10 minutes wait at the border point. It would have been quicker to fly back to the UK and have a look round York then fly back to Dubrovnick. I reiterate! DONT DO IT! DONT DO IT,

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

I drove to Kotor & Budva from Dubrovnik yesterday with my family. We absolutely enjoyed our day trip to Montenegro. The cross border was straightforward & took around 20 mins only when we crossed it around 10 am. On the way back to Dubrovnik around 8pm it took us less time. I stopped at the red traffic light when we came to the Croatian check post. After around 15 mins wait the light was still red then I decided to move forward because there were around 20 other cars behind us. As soon as I was closer to red light post the light got green because censor was activated. I felt bit stupid for the wait otherwise the border cross would have been straight away.

The visit to Montenegro was well worth it. We have enjoyed Kotor more than Budva because of the history & location of Boka Bay. There was a little island just before Kotor named Perast is a must for any visitor to Montenegro. The island is just 10 mins by speed boat which cost only 15 Euros for a family of four. There is a small church with a museum in the island dated few hundred years ago. The church is free to visit but museum cost 1 Euro for adult & children are free.

Don't be put off visiting Montenegro, it's easy to go from Dubrovnik. The best time is to go in weekdays rather weekend when there will be less traffic.

Edited: 3:55 am, August 20, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

We too did NOT heed the warning given by another reviewer. The drive from Dubrovnik to Kotor was straightforward, no big border line-ups, the vistas beautiful and Kotor very nice. We parked at an outdoor parking lot near a shopping center just across from a public beach (4 euros for 4 hours) then hiked up the fortress all 1350 steps (not recommended for anyone with joint, heart or lung problems or with small children.....its just too dangerous and strenuous for unfit adults or children). We then cooled off by taking a swim at the beach and lunched in Risan on our way to Sarajevo the same day via Foca, Bosnia.....which I would NOT do again due to the narrow mountain roads, its best to go via Treblinje - Mostar - Sarajevo. Kotor is highly recommended and stop in Risan for a seafood meal.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

HI

We have to get to Dubronik airport on a saturday Morning from Montenegro. Our flight is at 11.30 am and worried after reading reviews of how long it takes. If we left at 7am in the morning would we make it?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Cavtat, Dubrovnik, Kotor
Level Contributor
852 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

when are you travelling? Peak season? Weekend?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

in July. Our flight is at 11am On saturday Morning ( July 5th) We leaving Muo in Kotor to get to Dubronik. can this be done?

england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovnik drive to Budva/Kotor

It can be done, certainly, but at that time of year to avoid undue stress I'd be tempted on an early start. If you set off at 6am that would get you to the airport at 9am worst case scenario I'd estimate. The border crossing is the only bottleneck you have to worry about. All other parts of the journey the traffic will move freely.