We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Yalta?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
472 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Yalta?

We are creating an itinerary for Ukraine for October and want to spend enough time in Yalta to explore the area. As it stands now, we will fly to Simferopol and be greeted by a local tour guide (still not hired). We will stop in Khan Palace and Bakchisaray on our way to Sevastopol. We will spend 2 nights in Sevastopol, with one full day of touring of the city.

After the second night we will head to Yalta for 3 nights. Will that be enough time to get a historical and cultural feel for the Crimea Peninsula or should we consider a 4th night? Is it too late in the year for a cruise of any type on the Black Sea? Any other suggestions are always welcome

Thanks in advance!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How many days in Yalta?

>>As it stands, I now have 3 full days in Odessa, 2 full days in Sevastopol, 3 full days (4 nights) in Yalta and 3 full days in Kyiv. <<

That's pretty much what we had and it worked out all right. We would have liked to have had more time in all of these places, but that wasn't possible so we made the most of the time that we had and enjoyed it greatly.

I loved Odessa and plan to go back some time - but if you really wanted to add an extra night to Kyiv, I'd take it from Odessa and not Sevastopol. Two days are good for Sevastopol (one would be pointless, I think - there's a lot to see there and around its immediate area and it's a long way to go for one day); two full days are manageable for moseying around Odessa and getting a feel for the city. It's a moseying kind of place.

Not saying that you should subtract from your time there in favour of Kyiv - not at all - just putting in my two cents' worth about which night I'd sacrifice if that's what I wanted to do. :)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How many days in Yalta?

Thank you, halwimsey! Love comparing my sentiments (as a local) about our most visited destinations with those of the others, travellers in the first place :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How many days in Yalta?

I don't really like to suggest specific times for other people because we just prefer a fast paced tour with very little free time. We also don't like to just hang out in cities once we have seen the sights and we always have everything pre-arranged with drivers and guides so as not to waste time. We thought one full day was enough for Odessa. Really, when you look at the TA list of attractions, what is there to see that would take more than a day?

As an example the Crimea part of our itinerary was 5 full days with 2 nights in Sevastopol and 2 nights in Yalta.

Day 1: Starting from Simferopol we toured Chufut Kale, Assumption Monastery, Kahn's Palace and Eski-Kermin. These are all near Bakchisaray.

Day 2: Panorama Museum, Chersonesus, Balaklava submarine base, and Cembalo Fortress mostly for the views of the sea and Balaklava Bay. All in Sevastopol.

Day 3: The Swallows Nest, Alupka Palace and Livadia Palace. All on the route to Yalta.

Day 4: Massandra Palace, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral a small museum and the seaside promenade in Yalta.

Day 5: A little more time on the promenade and then a noon departure for a leisurely drive back to Simferopol for our train to Odessa.

I'm not suggesting this is the way you should travel but it's definitely possible and not really that difficult. But, if you're travelling in a group tour or using public transport to get around, forget everything I just said.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How many days in Yalta?

Many thanks, beentheredonethat :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How many days in Yalta?

Beentheredonethat & Cora,

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions.

This is excellent information and can help us bring focus to our upcoming trip.

Our Russian-Ukrainian local contacts are cautioning us not to go at this time but I am persistent and keeping positive.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How many days in Yalta?

Are these Ukraine/Crimea-based sourced? Or Russia-based? Just curious who and how estimates the situation.

Edited: 2:46 pm, February 24, 2014
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How many days in Yalta?

P.S. Thought I should underline that my above question was driven by nothing but sincere curiosity. No offence was meant, no sarcasm was implied.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
472 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How many days in Yalta?

My goodness Cora, I apologize if I upset you. My husband has friends with family in both countries. Coupled with the US government warning Americans not to travel to the Ukraine,. But I am not giving in. October is still months away. Be safe and thank you for your honest thoughts

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How many days in Yalta?

No, not at all!!! I was really nothing but curious. We have lots of discussions these days, and I'm interested in how it looks like to people from different areas of Ukraine. Nothing else :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How many days in Yalta?

There is so much to see in Sevastopol. The 3D panorama of the Crimean war is very realistic. The Battery 35 experience is amazing and humbling, go see the Greek city of Hersonese Visit Sapungara too to overlook the Balaclava battlefield and visit the WW2 memorial at the same time. You must go to Balaclava and visit the submarine pens, maybe climb up the hill to the old fortifications.. A boat trip round the Sevastopol harbour is well worth while, so is the ferry crossing. Yalta is OK too but mainly to view the residencies of the Russian aristocracy and visit place like Gurzuf, Simese and similar. The cable car to Ai Petri is worth taking and you may like to do the caves too while you are up there. Crimea is a great place but will be a bit quiet by October. Stay longer. Enjoy.