We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise boat into town centre?

Gosport
11 posts
Save Topic
Cruise boat into town centre?

can we walk from the boat into Yalta's promanade? if so how .long will it take please.our cruise will be there in August.Also any info on getting taxi's to the Livadiya Palace 9th Feb.2010

Edited: 4:58 pm, February 10, 2010
Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Yes, sure, you can walk about 300 meters from Yalta dock to Promenade. This is the old period dock (was build 70-e years 19 century and Soviet period), so it is located in the same heart of old town.

By the way, on the street, named after F.Rousevelt ! It is very short bat very nice street, and was only one street in former Sovet Union, named after capitalist`s President :-)

Rousevelt drived some times here in February 1945, when was on Livadia Conference.

1 week ago Russian TV showed a new documentary about that Conference, a historical reconstruction accordanly archivs and documents - "Poker 45". If is it interesting for you, I can show for you some pics.

Sure, best of all to you would be take a private taxi and guide - Greater Yalta has many nice and interesting sites, located along the picturest coast 30 km.

You can see my posts about Yalta, Crimea and Sevastopol .

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

You can see more information from my posts here :

Jan 21, 2010 Yalta Things to See in Yalta : Itinerary Suggestions

Jan 21, 2010 Crimean Peninsula Bakhchisaray and Region - medieval Capital and State

Jan 21, 2010 Sevastopol Things to See in Sevastopol : Itinerary Suggestions

Jan 21, 2010 Crimean Peninsula Things to see in Crimea: Itinerary Suggestions

sure, possible to help you with any information.

Good luck !

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Hope you don't mind me interfering..

You can reach Chris’s posts much faster - just go to Ukraine general forum and check the right upper corner of the page for Top Questions «FAQ: Ukraine Attractions».

There are links to all his posts I can also repeat here ;)

Greater Yalta tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295378-i7488-k334…

Sevastopol tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295387-i7466-k334…

Bakhchisaray tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g313972-i7465-k334…

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Back to your question, Fivestar, as already mentioned by Chris, it’ll take you minutes to get from the boat to Yalta seafront promenade.

Note however that August is the highest season for Crimea and prices hike dramatically. Also, many taxi drivers are aware of cruises time-schedules and “sit up” closer to the port and other hot spots waiting for tourists. Pretty often they agree on a minimum “corporate” floor (which is not minimum rate, as you realize). So if you are approaching a taxi driver waiting nearby the touristy area you will most definitely have to overpay, especially if you don’t have the price level idea to bargain about.

The best solution here would probably be to find someone in advance to get you around while in Yalta, including to Livadia Palace. Alternatively, you may wish to walk further to the city, off the beaten track, and try to catch a taxi there.

By the way, in my personal and very subjective opinion, except for its glorious history, Livadia is not the most fascinating place to be the only to see while in Yalta. If you have more time on your cruise, consider at least visiting Vorontsov Palace in Alupka, the Swallow’s Nest in Gaspra, Alexander III Palace in Massandra as well (I’m choosing the closest sights only). And don't miss Crimean wine trial :)

Have a very enjoyable cruise!

Edited: 3:52 am, February 12, 2010
Gosport
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Thank you Chrisshaul and Coa for your information,on places to visit,and advice ,info,on the taxis.I realise this another question,but what currency,do the taxis, take appart from the local one?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Well, theoretically and according to the Law of Ukraine, hryvnia is the only currency that can be used on the territory of Ukraine for domestic settlements.

There are many money changers and banking outlets as well as ATMs on or near Yalta promenade that you can use to change for local currency. I assume you would anyway need it to pay for tickets where appropriate as well as meals and drinks etc. Money changers definitely accept USD, EUR, RUR, GBP; some banks deal with wider scope of currencies. Should you wish to change, make sure the notes are not worn out or damaged - in this case you will either be unable to change, or get a very poor value for it.

If you decide to use ATMs in Ukraine, you may wish to advise your issuing bank before departure that you’re going to use your card here, just to make sure the transactions won’t be blocked by your bank out of security considerations.

In reality, however, many people involved in hospitality and tourism accept (and sometimes even prefer) foreign currencies. Shouldn’t be much problem with US dollar, euro and Russian rouble in Crimea, but I’m not sure about British pound.

I’m just afraid that by letting know a taxi driver you’re paying in hard currency you signal on your readiness to overpay.

Gosport
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Thank you for the info,we will make sure we have euro and USD on us .

Edited: 5:15 pm, February 16, 2010
Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

Ok, if you would like to ask more personal questions about Greater Yalta, Livadia ect., you can contact me trought my private box on this forum.

Good luck!

9. Re: Cruise boat into town centre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 17, 2010