We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
479 reviews
Save Topic
Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

I know there are many comments on either one but does anyone (Cora?) have an opinion if the plane is worth the extra expense? If we take the train is it easy to carry luggage aboard? Are there porters to help lift?

We will have been touring over 2 weeks before we make this next journey.

Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

Taking the train in any country is a real travel experience, but flying is the same everywhere, so isn't. For that reason alone, forget flying, unless you're on a business trip in a mad rush.

There's a fast day train leaving Kiev at 17:26 taking as little as 4h54 (flying would probably take 4h all in), or there's a comfortable overnight sleeper which will in effect take zero time out of your itinerary and save a hotel bill too. The sleeper has 2-berth spalny vagon/lux compartments and 4-berth kupé compartments. It's not expensive, either.

You can book Ukrainian trains at http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/ and collect them at any main Ukrainian station at the internet collection window.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

As for me, i dont like our ukrainian trains... Well , fast trains are OK, but overnights.. especially if you have lots of big size luggage..

Yes, ukrainian trains are interesting experience. But if you choose trains - better take a fast evening or (should be?) morning train. Your print confirmation from the mentioned above web-site will be your ticket, you dont need to go to ticket office and get original tickets.

If you'd like to save time - take the plane. Hope it helps!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

We love trains and that would be our preference. However, I am concerned about taking luggage. We will have been traveling 2 weeks by the time we reach Kyiv and will be somewhat tired to be lifting luggage ourselves. Are there porter and places to store luggage?

Thank you both for your advise.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

Well, they should be... Last time when i was in Kiev (1 month ago) and took a train, i havent noticed any porters..

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

And hi again :)

There certainly are porters let alone luggage rooms at the train station. BUT.

The probability of porters speaking a single word of English is close to 0 while the probability of them ripping you off is most certainly 1. So I'd rather suggested to stay away from them, to be honest.

As for choosing train vs plane, I support all arguments given above, and believe it's largely a matter of preferences. Say, I personally would fly any time unless I have a great company to have fun on board of a train :) And now that there are flights from Zhulyany, you don't need to overpay for KBP transfer and/or leave hours in advance to catch your flight.

But if you prefer a train, go for it. There is ample information in this forum on train travels, so you can get a clear idea of what to expect.

By the way, what Man_in_Seat_61 seems not be aware of ;) is that tickets for Kyiv - Lviv trains (specifically 169, 170, 91, 92) as well as quite a few other trans' tickets do not need to be collected any longer - they are real e-tickets now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

Thanks Cora and everyone that offered advice.

We love taking trains when we travel but given the issue of luggage, porter and language, we decided to fly. Tickets booked and on to the next project.

7. Re: Kyiv to L'viv-Train or Plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 18, 2014