We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 87 year old mother

Which Lviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bowmanville, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling with 87 year old mother

II'm a 61 year old female and 'd like to take my mother back to Ukraine, she was born in Buchach and was taken during the war. Is it safe for us to go? She'd love to see what her home is like now. I thought to fly in to Lviv and then make my way to Buchach. When is the best time to travel there?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Hi momstjean and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Yes, I believe it should be safe for both you and your mom to travel to Lviv and Buchach:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295377-i5799-k424…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295377-i5799-k553…

Just make sure you take all the medications needed with you, just in case.

And for the utmost comfort for your mom, better avoid the public transportation and use a private driver instead.

Do you plan to stay in Buchach or just shortly visit it on a day trip?

Although as a Canadian, you should probably be fine with our extreme temperatures, both cold winter and hot summer, the nicest season to visit is late spring and early autumn. So consider April-May and September, but avoid first decade of May – it’s the public holiday season here in Ukraine (May 1-2 then May 9, but many locals travel for the entire 9-10 days), when the prices hike, the hotels in Lviv get fully booked and the city is more crowded.

In the meantime, perhaps your mom and you would be interested to have a look at some pics of Buchach I’ve taken during my last year trip around Ternopillya:

https:/…

Edited: 5:08 am, July 09, 2012
Bowmanville, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Thank you very much for the pictures. I'll show them to my mom tonight. Do you have any idea how far it would be from the airport to Buchach? There was a cruise that I saw that went to Yalta and Odessa. I thought we might be able to get off the ship at Yalta and then join it again in Odessa. Do you think this is feasible, or is it too far away? I was looking at going the beginning of October.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Depending on the road to take, it can roughly be some 200km. Alternatively, you can get a driver to Buchach from another large city, Ivano-Frankivsk, which is in only 66km from Buchach. This will be cheaper.

As for the cruise, do you mean as an alternative destination to get to Buchach from? I’m afraid that will be too far and could be too stressful for your mom, considering the quality of our roads and speed of trains (a possible alternative to road travel).

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Very interesting and pretty pictures, Cora ;-).

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Cheers, Joen! :) Great to see you, as always :)

Any places that you, a thorough explorer of the real Ukraine off the beaten track, haven't been to? ;)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

I could think of a few - well, actually MANY !

Joen

Edited: 2:15 am, July 10, 2012
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Welcome back any time! :)

Ivano-Frankivsk...
Level Contributor
211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Great pictures Cora,

Ternopil region has many interesting old places,

nice to see the best part of it.

The road from Ivano-Frankivsk to Buchach is ok, so it might take

1 hour driving from Ivano-Frankivsk and 2.5-3 hours from Lviv.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

Thanks, Yurko :)

[Still no time to upload those I took in Carpathians and Transcarpatians this May :( ]

Bowmanville, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with 87 year old mother

I think we'll fly in to Kiev, stay a couple of days and then take the train to L'viv. From there we can go to Buchach and stay a couple of days and then Turnopil and a few other places around there. Then we'll take the train from L'viv to Poland as my father was born there (he died quite a while ago). Then we can fly home from Warsaw.

Does that sound okay for a two week trip? Is it easy to rent a car, or should we be getting a driver?