We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lviv Trip report

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lviv Trip report

my wife and I recently returned to London after spending 4 full days in L'Viv, a beautiful Ukranian city.

Firstly, we flew to Krakow, Poland and then caught a train (we had a 2 person sleeper cabin) on the polrail service leaving at 1pm and arriving into Lviv at a touch over midnight. We paid approximately €150 for the both of us which I thought was good value.

We stayed at the George Hotel (room 25) and they arranged for a driver to pick us up from the train station which cost 100H. The George Hotel is a beautifully maintained traditional eastern european hotel and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a room which faced the road and cost 720H per night. It was our anniversary and they suprised us with a bottle of champagne which was much appreciated. The Hotel is very central and the breakfast was nice.

My wife and I arranged for a tour guide to show us around Lviv for a few hours which gave us a great background on this historic city. We also arranged for the tour guide to take us for a drive on the Sunday and we visitied a Monastery (awe inspiring..) and Castle, we were picked up at 8am and returned at 4pm - cost 1200H. I cannot remember the names of the Monastery and Castle but I have emailed the guide and will share once I receive.

My personal highlight was watching a performance at the Opera House which I am led to believe is the 3rd most beautiful in Europe - i'd certainly like to see what the 1st and 2nd are because they must be 'out of this world'. We watched a performance commemorating the 1930's famine. The Opera House is a 5 minute walk from the George Hotel.

There are a good range of restaurants and we particularly enjoyed Kryjivka (themed restaurant, average food - try the honey vodka), Freemasons (same as Kryjivka) and Kumpel (Brewery & Restaurant). The local Lviv brew is very nice, have a try... Ukranian food is quite nice, Borsch is my favourite, with lots of dumpling, potatoe and meat dishes. Ukranians also love their sour cream which was no issue with me!

The Lviv Chocolate Factory is as good as you will get any where in the world, we visited the place atleast 3 times.. there is both a cafe and shop full of chocolate.

Just when you think you have seen all of Lviv you discover a new and interesting part... the city has a definite european feel to it.

All in all, we had a brilliant time in Lviv.. If you are thinking of going, I would highly recommend. I suspect that post Euro 2012, Lviv tourism will sky rocket even further than what it has in the past 5 years.

If anybody wants the details of the tour guide, please PM me and I will be happy to share and recommend.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lviv Trip report

Hi Beau_and_Monique,

I'm very glad you enjoyed you time in Lviv so much!

Thanks for sharing!

Adding your report to our Trip Reports Collection.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lviv Trip report

Hi Beau_and_Monique :)

Welcome back to the forum, and thank you so much for sharing your trip impressions! Look forward to learning what was the monastery and the castle you've been to, out of great many in and around Lviv :)

How did it go with the embassy, please, if you don’t mind me asking?

P.S. Marynuk, my idea of adding reports to the TR Collection was to do it after the original report moves down in the forum board, so that it was easier to locate it then. So far it's on page 1, anyway ;)

Edited: 3:22 am, December 01, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lviv Trip report

Hi Cora..

The embassy was fine at the end of the day.. being australian, I needed to obtain a visa from the Ukraine Embassy in London.

Information on Ukraine tourist visas online is horrendous, so is the Ukraine Embassy website for that matter, so you need to make sure you download the most up to date visa form... we downloaded a form from the website only to find out that it was the old one - nothing we could do about it. I can't remember the cost of the visa as I didn't lodge, but I think it was c£100 each.

There are specific lodging and pick up times for the visa so that is something people need to look out for. Also, obviously, you need to make sure you leave yourself enough time to have the visa issued.

P.S - once i hear back from the tour guide I'll post the names of the monastery and castle.

Cheers, Beau.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lviv Trip report

Oh, that’s terrific, Beau; thanks a lot for these helpful tips!

It’s great to have your update on the situation, so that the others could benefit from your experience. This is where none of us, residents, could have probably been as helpful.

Thank you very much :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lviv Trip report

ok...

the monastery was called Pochaev and the castle was called Olesko..

I must say that we visited the monastery on a Sunday when the services were on and it was fascinating for someone that comes from a non religious country and is agnostic.

I can't comment on other monasteries but I would recommend anyone staying in Lviv to take a trip out to Pochaev.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lviv Trip report

Thanks a lot for the update!

Yep, that was an outstanding place you were taken to :) Pochaiv is not just a monastery; it has the status of Lavra. We have discussed it a while ago here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k303…

As for Olesko https:/…5559453069332933826 , although not my personal fave in Lviv oblast, it's one of the best preserved and must be among the most visited in the area.

By the way, it is listed on TA and can be reviewed tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2339780-d…

7. Re: Lviv Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, February 27, 2012
8. Re: Lviv Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, June 22, 2013