We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Western Ukraine

Which Lviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Travelling in Western Ukraine

Hello,

is there any reliable site with timetables of bus connections between main cities in Western Ukraine?

I would like to check the connections between Lviv and Lutsk, and then to Polish border.

By the way, can you recommend me some less known places to visit (eg. charming towns, natural monuments) in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

Hi wujekjanusz! Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

The only web-site I could suggest for the bus routs is this one: http://bus.com.ua/ Unfortunately, its English segment is very limited, so you’ll have to use google translate.

Here’s the time-table for Lviv-Lutsk http://tinyurl.com/69zvv73 Stick to those routs that have 100% reliability.

As for the less known places in the area, check out the following links:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295377-i5799-k427…

and my #8 here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k450…

And let know if you find the cities mentioned there known enough and need more suggestions. I’d be happy to come up with more ideas :)

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

Hi Cora_v,

thank you for comprehensive answer, I find it very useful. :)

Greetings!

3. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, July 19, 2011
Zaporizhzhya...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

I wujekjanusz!,

I would recommend you to visit Uzhrogod, it's a regional capital( Ivano frankovsk region), it's situated near the Hungarian border. It's a marvelous city with its old part, its castle, and its surroundings(ypical ukrainian vilages, Carpathian mountains), its nature and flair.It' become popular with foreign tourists. Another tour distination to offer is Svalyava. It is in the heart othe mountains, has spa resorts and recreation facilities. Hope my suggestions can come handy to you and other travallers. Have a nice trip to Western Ukraine!!

Greetings,

Katrine

ukraine
Level Contributor
37 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

hi) I live in Lutsk and happy to answer all your questions! direct train between Lviv and Lutsk there is no. only private transfer (about 3 hours by car) and buses. the most popular places to visit in Lutsk :

Castle Lubart , Pokrov Church , Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, dungeons, pedestrian mall, museums (icons, military equipment of the Soviet Union, etc.) and other historical monuments and architecture!

Feel free to contact with any questions at my personal address: nika_fedosova@mail.ru

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

>>> direct train between Lviv and Lutsk there is no.

Sorry, but this is not quite true.

According to UkrRailways, #668 Kovel-Chernivtsi train stops in both Lutsk and Lviv. As per the present time-table, it runs 4 days a week.

The other thing is that the train might not, indeed, be the best option to get to Lviv from Lutsk.

Edited: 8:30 am, January 10, 2012
ukraine
Level Contributor
37 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

I agree with you, Cora!

but I am confident that tourist asked about the" train", and not about the( what we call in Ukraine) "diesel". Ukraine really use so-called "Diesel train" - a cheap, dirty and uncomfortable train((( it moves very slowly, stopping in small towns and villages. I will never recommend - because it is dangerous to travel (rude and robbery are not excluded).

other standard train wagons have a compartment for 4 persons and wagons compartment for 2 persons. tea and coffee in the train fee (around 3 hryvnias). Such trains are moving much faster - but between Lviv and Lutsk they do not cruising.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

>>> but I am confident that tourist asked about the" train"

The OP actually asked about buses and places to see ;)

My above post was only in response to your #5 and meant to correct information that the other readers might be misguided by.

ukraine
Level Contributor
37 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

thanks, cora! In any case, I think that our advice to already be outdated.... because awujekjanusz sked the question back in July)))

We can only hope that he made a journey and he has a good impression!;)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling in Western Ukraine

Amen :)

Get answers to your questions about Lviv