We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zadar in May

Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Zadar in May

Hi

I am flying to Zadar in may and staying for 4 days in the town centre in a guesthouse. Money will be fairly tight and there will be two of us, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for an itinerary?

Principally I am interested in seeing a national park for a day or half day (e.g. Krka or the other one beginning with "P"). Was wondering what transport options there were e.g. bus and how regular they were to these parks. I like the idea of hiking for a few hours and then settling down in a local pub for a few local beers.

Secondly, I am interested in getting a boat for a day trip to a nearby island as believe it or not have never been on an island anywhere before - except the UK of course!

Also interested in history and was wondering if the tourist office did walking tours etc. Museums would be good too. If anyone could recommend a cheap Yugoslav-type kafana that would be good as well. I also like markets.

Lastly, if anyone could recommend a beach, preferably a soft sand one as I understand that quite a few are pebble beaches. Presume it is possible to rent a deck-chair for the day?

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zadar in May

Use cheap regular ship lines to visit nearby islands and a bus to go hiking in the National park Paklenica and visit Plitvice lakes on a nice day using a bus.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zadar in May

Since Zadar was fiercely attacked during the 1991 war, and was a frontline town, I wouldn't be looking for a Yugoslav-type kafana there, if I were you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zadar in May

Nin is nearby and has sandy beaches.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zadar in May

Educate me on the word kafana!

Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zadar in May

It just means a cheap eating place.

Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zadar in May

Don't worry folks I am not promoting Serbianism or anything like that. Just looking for cheap eating places with typical local food.

I never knew that Zadar was a front line town. Is any of this reflected in local musuems or walking tours? History is a passion for me.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zadar in May

Doesn't matter what you are looking for, leave Yugoslavia out of your vocabulary when in Croatia, especially around Zadar.

I am not aware of a museum of the type you are looking for in Zadar. However, there are scars from the war all around Zadar. One of the worst I saw many years ago, was the village of Smokovic. I don't think much has changed there.

I think that there is a day trip from Zadar to Kornati National Park. I know there is 1 from Biograd.

Edited: 4:03 pm, March 31, 2014
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zadar in May

It is funny you should say this but when I first went to Zadar on a short trip the passport official saw a Serbian stamp in my passport and showed his colleague next to him with a look of horror on his face.

Thanks for the tip. No mention in future of Serbia or Yugoslavia.

9. Re: Zadar in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Zadar