We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

Hi, looking for advice about Croatia. We want to be able to see as much as possible and still be relaxed. Flying into and out of Zadar. Plan on staying one night there, go to the lakes for 1-2 nights, Split for 1 night, then down to Dubrovnik for 1-2 nights and possibly try to take a day trip to Montenegro. Traveling with children. Any Recommendations will be much appreciated!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

If you only have 7 days, flying in and out Zadar and still want to be relaxed, I would advise to only see Zadar, Plitivce and Split. I would leave Dubrovnik and Montenegro for next time.

Edited: 10:44 pm, February 19, 2014
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

I agree with Zadarfan. with 3 children and only 7 days, I would stay around Zadar and Split. There is so much to do around there. Plitvice and Krka National Park, day trip to Kornati. That is 3 days already gone. Then visit Sibenik, Trogir.

If the trip is in summer, I assume you want to spend some time at the beach. Biograd, not far form Zadar, would be ideal. You could probably base yourself in Biograd instead of Zadar. Much easier to get in and out for day trips. It is very family friendly holiday destination and it is not as big as Zadar.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

We are going in April so won't be warm enough beach weather yet. That's why I thought we could take a couple of days and go down south. The kids are teenagers and are used to driving long distances. This will probably the only time we will ever get to Croatia so I want to see as much as possible. We can leave Montenegro off of the itinerary. But I do want to get down south. So now I have to pick one main thing a day to see in these places any specific things you recommend? Thanks for the feedback!!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

Here are my suggestions.

2 days in Zadar. From there visit Plitvice. Head south and on the way, visit Krka National Park. On the same day, visit Sibenik. head to Trogir and stay couple days. From there, visit Split. Dioclecian's Palace in Split is a must. Head to Dubrovnik for 2 days. I think visiting Montenegro from there will leave you very little time to explore Dubrovnik. If you have time drive south to Cavtat. Not far.

Head back to Zadar.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

Thank you! Yes the more I'm thinking about the more I think you are both right and we may cut out Dubrovnik ... We are really going to see the lakes and beaches we like to be out in nature so it would probably be better to spend more time around Zadar so we can have more time to explore the national parks. Thanks so much!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

I wish I would have known when I booked the plane tickets I could have flown in and out of different airports! Makes more sense.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

You might easily stay in Zadar as a base all the time, and make day trips as far as Split.

Other excursion options from Zadar: Plitvice Lakes NP, Paklenica NP, Kornati Islands NP, Pag island (connected with land via bridge), Sibenik (make sure you don't pass by!) and nearby River Krka NP, Split and Trogir. That's about it!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

So far we have an apartment booked for Sibenik mid stay. I thought we could do Krka, Split, and Trogir on those days. Stay in Zadar the last 3 days and do some island hopping and possibly some boating. Should we stay close to Plitvice for the first 2 days? Is there enough to see and do for two days around Plitvice? Thank you!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

You don't have a lot of time. I would stay in Zadar and do a day trip to Plitvice. It is less than 2 hours drive each way and while you could spend more time in Plitvice, 1 day is sufficient.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day itinerary Zadar to Dubrovnik

I think you're not in-sync here with all who have posted their comments.

Again, 7 days are not enough for you to hop around and do all you had in mind. That is, if you don't want to be on the road all the time. However, if you like to move all the time, then it's your itinerary!