We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location advice for two weeks R&R

Which Zadar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
location advice for two weeks R&R

Thinking of flying to Zadar 8th Sept 13 for two to three weeks. looking for a relaxing base, nice scenery, nice restaurants, no need for clubs etc for two adults in 40s. Have been to Dubrovnik, Makarska Riveria, loved areas like Brela, Korcula and now looking up north to see what is there. Zadar town looks interesting for a visit but prefer staying outside cities - can anyone recommend an area to stay for two weeks which is not a city base? Dont mind driving if I have to but have to fly into Zadar - no option for Pula Airport as coming from Ireland. Basically looking for two weeks R&R with hopefully ok weather and nice restaurants and a couple of day/boat trips now all I need is a location in that area to use as a nice base.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

How about Nin? Or Diklo?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

I agree with both Nin and Diklo. Diklo is much closer to the old town and with better public transport if needed.

Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

Many thanks to both of you - Im researching both areas as I type!! I did find a lovely apartment in a place called Starigrad-Paklenica with fantastic seaview but I think it looks extremely quiet area and might not have restaurants etc.

I think Diklo looks great - now heading off to look for dream accommodation at the seafront! Cant wait now.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

If you liked Brela, then you will like Biograd too (25km to the south of zadar). It has pebble beaches, cozy town centre, access to the Kornati Islands NP (daily excursions - not to miss), it has a marina therefore there is some buzz, but not too much, the town riva is crowded in the evenings, but not overwhelmingly.... one of the best pizza restaurants in the entire area is there plus several nice restaurants (nothing fancy though)....

Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

Many thanks for that - at the moment Im thinking we split our locations - might do 5 days in starigrad, 5 in either Diklo or Biograd and then find an island for a few days - just to have a different perspective but perhaps they are too near each other to justify moving locations?

Would anyone have any information on Starigrad - Paklenica. I love the accommodation but cant find out much about the area?

Also - would Pasman Island be a good base for a few days for island life or is it better to just do day trips?

Open to all ideas?

Edited: 7:01 am, July 05, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

Starigrad and Biograd are too close to change locations, and Starigrad is not an overwhelmingly tourist place. I'd rather choose Biograd. as for the islands, just any in that area is good to get an island feel. however, look at the largest places, as there will be nothing happening in smaller villages around.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

I personally didn't like Pasman so I wouldn't recommend it.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

Your saying north of Croatia so after landing in Zadar pick up a car and head to plitvice lakes national park for a day or two then on down to island of krk..I would also take ferry to Cres and Losinj mali and Veli Losinj have some great small hotels and its my favióourite area for quiet but not to quiet! Great beaches, walking, biking, lots of cruises and in general a super area. You may also want to spend a couple of days here in the Opatija area and the rest of Istria. It sall only a couple of hours drive from Zadar!

Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

@PeterCMontreal - thank you for your suggestion its certainly a different idea. I think the journey from Plitvice to Krk would be around 3 hours by car? I am going to look up Krk as I dont know anything about it - would it be ok for 10 to 12 days R&R with a few day trips to suggested places above thrown in?

Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: location advice for two weeks R&R

@happybypleasure and Zadarfan - many thanks to both of you for your input - really appreciate it.