We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rijeka

Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rijeka

We go on an Adriatic Cruise in MAy and then only have a couple of days in Zadar and then a couple in Rijeka before travelling to Trieste . A couple of questions please

The best things to see/do in and around Zadar? We can spend the day we arrive doing the town and then head off for the day the next day.

We then travel Zadar to Rijeka.

Is it better to stay in Rijeka or Opatije?

What things are a must see or do considering we don't have much time? We thought maybe the day we arrive we can do the town sites as such, and the next day go to an island or something else.

What about going along the Istrian coast and stopping somewhere for lunch etc? Any ideas? Thanks

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rijeka

Rijeka is NOT a place to stay. It is highly industrialized and does not give a fair portrayal of Istria whatsoever.

Opatija It is undeniably nice but lacks the character and charm of Rovinj. Rovinj would be my choice on the coast. If you are into hilltowns, there are many options to stay there, too. Opatija is not on the top of my list. It is just that there are nicer places.

Edited: 4:15 pm, February 20, 2013
Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rijeka

Thankyou all for your views. We have now changed our plans and are hiring a car in Split and driving to Trogir and on to Zadar via Primosten. We will go on to Plitvice Lakes and do some walking before driving to Rovinj via the coast. We'll have 3 nights in Rovinj anf plan to visit Pula and the peninsular area on the first day and then drive along the Istrian coastline the next - visiting Vrsar, Porec, Novigrad and Umag.We may if we have time visit Motovun or Grozngan depending on time. I know it's a quick visit but we will have had 'resting time' on the cruise so don't mind being on the move. We are not the sort of people who lay about on the beach.

Any other comments are most welcome. Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rijeka

"Any other comments" - only to say I think your choice of Rovinj is good. Opatija is not top of my list either. If it were me I would choose Motovun over Umag. Walking around the walls of Motovun you can see all of Istria laid out before you - beautiful.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rijeka

Fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion.

That's what I love about the forums - the guide books can say one thing, but having people give their experiences and personal views is so valuable!

Do you think it's do-able in a day to go from Rovinj along the coast to Novigrad and then to Motovun before returning to Rovinj? The distance don't seem big - by Australian standards definately, But hopefully we'll be able to stop at the towns and wander a bit too.

Thanks again.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rijeka

What you are planning is easily doable, especially with low traffic levels at that time of year.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rijeka

Agree with TowerofFlour.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rijeka

thankyou!

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rijeka

I just have to chime in. I agree with visiting Motovun over Umag. Umag is ok but Motovun is brilliant. See if you can fit in Groznjan which I prefer over Motovun (as do many locals I have asked). Distances are very short but some roads are twisty (but oh, so lovely). We often start out with the intention of going somewhere for a few hours but before we know it, it is 7 pm and we are still out exploring! Within half an hour of our house you can spend many, many days coming across things. Distances in Canada would be similar to those in Australia. We can drive for many hours without seeing a city or anything interesting except for mile upon mile of straight roads, no trees and just fields. Croatia is vastly different from that. You can see tons of things every mile! I love it. :)

You are sure to adore Rovinj. There just is no comparison between it and Opatija! Have a fantastic time.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Rijeka

Rijeka has no typical tourist/sightseeing value.Those into early days of industrialization and war history may find something interesting..True,(as Istria stands West of the Ucka ridge) the city has nothing to do with peninsula...except as a sick bay .

Opatija and Rovinj belong to different era and architecture.Rovinj is sweet but Opatija is not bad either.

Rosie Aussie: by skipping (Šibenik/Skradin and) NP Krka you are comiting a crime.Almost.

Forums are nice but open the map as well.

dalekoodposla.com/mape/auto-karta-hrvatske.j…

Western Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Rijeka

We can do that from Split to Zadar! Thank you all again!

Get answers to your questions about Zadar