We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about living in Pula

Pula, Croatia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about living in Pula

Hi, I'm a chiropractor (and photographer - sometimes paid....mainly a hobbie) living and working in the East Village, New York City. I'm thinking of moving over to Pula and working in an office over there. I'm looking for as much info on Istria that I can find. I'd be moving over in the next couple months with my girlfriend and my dog. I've seen pictures from istria.com, histrica.com, croatia.hr and other tourist webpages. It looks beautiful. I was curious about the nightlife restaurants, social scene or anything about it there. What it's like in the winter time over there? How does Pula compared to others cities on the coast? What is Porec like? Are they simliar to each other? Is one place nicer than the other? I have so many questions? I can only go by what I have read. I'd really appreciate any information about the area. How easy is it to get around without a car? How easy is it to get around with a car. Are there any other websites (with and option for english) that you can recomend?

thanks,

Any information would help.

Happy New Year!

Dave

pula
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Hi!

I was curious about the nightlife restaurants, social scene or anything about it there. What it's like in the winter time over there?

In the winter when are not a lot of tourists, many restaurants are closed and nightlife is very poor. Sometimes in the winter is very cold because of strong northeast wind.

How does Pula compared to others cities on the coast? What is Porec like?

Pula is not just the touristic city but industry too (shipyard for example). Porec is more touristic but with a lot of hotels on small place.

How easy is it to get around without a car? Pula is not so big but is not so easy.

Pula, Croatia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about living in Pula

thanks. I moved here a few days ago. Now just looking for some good places to eat and some good places to have a drink.

Taipei
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Hi, Dave,

Wondering if you are still in Pula. I am planing to go there around next Jan but I saw many hotels there are close in winter, can I know how's the winter like in Pula around winter time and how many attraction can we go around there? Many thanks.

Lola

Pula, Croatia
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about living in Pula

turist season is half the year , from may to october . as a foreigner you will find pula dull in january , most hotels are closed - bars will be active during weekends only .

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Whole Istria is compact and with a lot to see (history & landscapes) in 100km range.Peace and harmony is possible to find at both coastal and mainland places.(Along with above I would add Rovinj.)

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about living in Pula

I am down in Pula in five days time for a week, so I am hoping that there are still lots of bars and restaurants open; and that the weather is still warm and sunny.

Pula, Croatia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Hi. It IS pretty dull here in the winter. I have only been here for one January so far and it was cold, no sun and lots of rain. I have also heard that it not normally like that.

There isn't too much to do. Best bet would be to rent a car and take a tour of Istria.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about living in Pula

I am currently down in Medulin, just south of Pula. The weather is still good, up to 23°C today. Although some of the bars and restaurants have now closed, as the tourist season is virtually over, there are still quite a lot open.

Can't speak about January however.

Sterling
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Hi Dave

Are you still in Pula? I would like to know are you happy there and did you find Istria right place to live. I hope you are doing good and wish you luck.

I am from Pula too, right now in SAD.

Look forward to your reply

regards

Carla

Pula, Croatia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about living in Pula

Right now I'm back in NY for a visit. Istria is a beautiful place. I love the summers there. It gets a bit to quiet for me the rest of the year though. I miss it back here in NY.

Get answers to your questions about Pula