We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Venice

UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Venice

Hi,

Planning a holiday and looking to stay in the Park Plaza - how easy / hard would it be to get to Venice from there, how long would it take and is it expensive?

Is there a better location to stay that would make that trip easier (other than Venice).

Ta.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Venice

when will you visit?

UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Venice

Not until next year - Easter or first week in July - 2 adults.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Venice

There will be a catamaran service from Pula for return day trips or one way.

UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Venice

Cheers - is that expensive (approx)?

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Venice

You can find information on www.venezialines.com Look for special offers also.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Venice

Pula to Venice by ferry was a great way to get to Venice. We went June 22nd this year. Booked via www.directferries.com & paid per adult approx. 60Euros one way. It takes about 3.5 hrs to get to San Basilio (Venice) and ours left early 7.30am. Instructions were to get there minimum 1 hr before for Immigration & ticket collection (we are Aussies so not sure for EUpax). At the time directferries only issued out a printed voucher but this still needed to be redeemed for tickets on the day (went the day before but office at pier said no...only can redeem on day). On the morning of departure it all looked a bit shambolic to me but it all worked out okay. Everyone lined up and then staff turn up with their laptops and retrieve your booking...the office is tiny but this is done all outside with a bit of shelter....goodness knows what happens if weather atrocious. A tip: if you have a confirmation letter or tickets prior no need to rush to get on ferry.. I saw a family (of 5) arrive with bikes about 30 mins before departure and thought...gee how laid back Mum and Dad where but obviously they have done this trip before. They got off first because they boarded late..note suitcases are put in a corridor and depending on pax the pile got higher and longer (our ferry was pretty full). We were about the last to get off (among first to get on) our suitcases where in the bottom of the pile way in the middle somewhere. Its a freeforall to get them but most people were polite and helped others (maybe my grey hair helped). Once in San Basilio customs etc was a quick walk thru all undercover. Our hotel in Venice was an easy 10 minute walk from San Basilio (a couple of sml bridges but steps are wide) and our accommodation (huge apartment) in Pula was fabulous with a minute walk to ferry and great views of the Forum (upclose and personal) beautiful at night when lit up. If you want details of accom. both in Venice and Pula just msg me.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Venice

oh our shipping line was Atlas Kompas so not sure if that's Venezialines as well. also I think in June there was a 5.00pm ferry. Our ferry went directly to Venice (San Basilio).

UK
Level Contributor
207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Venice

Many thanks for the detailed reply - I have to be honest and say I didn't think it would take so long to get there or be so expensive - I was hoping to do it as a day trip. Is there any departure points that would mean a shorter ferry trip?

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Venice

The crossing from Porec can be a little shorter but only on certain days. You can get return day trip from Pula for less than €60 if booked in advance from the operator Venezia Lines.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Venice

the ferry we went on did have people that only went for the day. Also while onboard they offered various tours, one was free others you had to pay for...I was not aware of these tours until on board....so we had to make a decision quickly so we did the free tour as we had 2 full days after to look for ourselves. The free tour involved a quick brief history of San Marco Square then entrance to the glassblowing a talk on glassblowing and what to look for in the genuine article then time to look thru the 4 stores full of the glass. Quite interesting and glad it wasn't too long.

Get answers to your questions about Pula
Recent Conversations