We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

My daughters and I are arriving in Dubrovnik Good Thursday. We must pick up my husband at the airport at 5h00 pm on Good Friday. Since our hotel (Royal Princess) is on the other side of Dubrovnik thought it would make sense to take our rented vehicle and visit Dubrovnik en route that day, walk the walls etc...but where do we park the car? Any suggestions?

Furthermore can anyone give me details about the Good Friday procession, time, location, how long does it last etc...?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

The safest idea would be to park your car at the hotel's parking lot and take a local bus to Pile.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

I felt it did not make much sense to have rented a car, pay for a bus back and forth (for 3 people), we need to go back to the hotel to get the car which means getting further from the airport. There must be a parking lot somewhere close to the Pile gate!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

With a plane arriving at 5pm, I doubt you will have enough time to return to Dubrovnik and walk the wall as it closes at 6:30pm. The procession begins at 7pm and should take about one hour perhaps slightly less. Yes there is a small parking lot near the Pile entrance, arriving early evening it is doubtful you will find space there but do try.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,801 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Parking is nearly impossible near the Old Town so the advice about taking the bus into the Old Town area is good advice I think.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Thanks to all, I had no idea that the procession was that late…at 7h00pm!!!

With the info you all kindly provided…here is my plan: drive to Dubrovnik at approx. 10h00 am, park, visit till 4h00, take the car, drive to the airport, get my husband arriving on a 5h00pm flight, return to Dubrovnik hoping to see part of the procession perhaps even if we need to park further and walk a bit. In this scenario I figure we would be there at approx. 6h00

If we would go back to the hotel, get a bus to get to Pile after we get back from picking up my husband from his 5h00pm flight, (it would probably be at least 6h30 by the time we depart the hotel) I figure would miss much of the procession with this scenario.

Does this all make sense? Thanking in advance anyone who would be kind enough to comment.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Dani, we are fellow Canadians, have been here many times and today I mulled over your situation. IF POSSIBLE, I would either send a driver to collect your husband ( about € 35 ) and deliver him to the Pile Gate where you'd meet up with him, stow his luggage wherever your car is parked ( might also be arranged with driver), or, just have him grab a taxi outside the airport and deliver him to wherever you choose. Parking here is at such a premium that there is no guarantee of a spot - think either downtown Ottawa or Toronto street parking near a venue. I do wish you good luck on this, and a great weekend.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Thank you very much my fellow canadian for this sound advice. Hopefully I will be able to reach my husband in time, otherwise he is expecting us to collect him at the airport. In the end it will all work out!

Have you ever mentally ordered your parking space in advance. It really works…try it!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,801 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Let us know how it went with your plan...and I am going to use that mentally ordering a parking space this summer in Croatia....I believe its worth a try!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
62 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Just returned from a wonderful day in Dubrovnik, mentally ordered a good parking space before we arrived at noon. Got just what we needed at 5 kunas per hour (stay just outside the old city, you only need to go down 200 steps and you will be at Pike's gate) If you park down by Pile 's gate you won't need to use the 200 steps but you will pay 20 kunas per hour. Went to get my husband at the airport at 5h00pm, returned, ordered my parking space while en route, you send the order to the universe, you trust it will deliver and you forget about it...do not obsess over it as this would no longer be positive energy. So the universe delivered a good parking space again in the same area. We had a delicious dinner at Konoba Moskar, in the old town (high on Trip Advisor and rightly so), finished just in time to get absolutely the best place to see the procession. A perfect day were we also walked the entire Dubrovnik wall, the old town, visited Rector's place etc...

Wishing you a great trip this summer...with a lot of parking spaces ;)) Thanks again for responding

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Friday procession & parking in Dubrovnik?

Glad you enjoyed your day in Dubrovnik! Had I known you used the energy of the universe, my advice might have been different ;)

Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik