We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed with itinerary

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Topic
Help needed with itinerary

Hi,

Me and my wife are going to Croatia for 2 weeks in the last week of June. We are flying to Dubrovnik. My plan is to stay first in Cavtat for 3-4 nights and in the meantime do a trip to Kotor. We would also like to at some point of the holiday stay in Dubrovnik for 2-3 nights and probably visit Mostar. However, the majority of the time we would like to spend on both Korcula and Mljet (Polace possibly?). I wonder if you guys think that's a good plan and would also like to ask for your advice regarding transport, best places to stay and so on.

We will be relying on public transport during our visit and when on the islands we would like to be within fairly short distance to nice beaches without having to travel for miles. Thanks for your help

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
250 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed with itinerary

It's more or less good plan - everyone likes something. Cavtat is nice for

About the transport, coaches are good.

I don't know much about stay... I was in private accomodation and it was ok. As I know, island of Mljet is bad with public transportation. You come by ferry from Dubrovnik and than you are in the middle of nothing. The places (villages) are not so nice there. There is national park, on the very west of the island and it's nice. But it should be many organised trips from Dubrovnik (perhaps from Cavtat as well) to there. Polače is nothing specian, realy. There is ruin of really huge roman palais but there are just four walls.

Town of Korčula is very nice. It is reachable by public transport (coach) as well - the station is in the center. There are nice beaches in the centre and walking distance. Find some private accomodation in the town and it will be perfect. I have stayed like that once. But the village of Lumbarda is not to good to stay without car 'cause there is nothing there. So, stay in Korčula.

You have two weeks and that's good. Many people on this forum want to see islands and have less time... Islands are not attractive that way. I don't know what's so attractive on the islands.

So I suggest no Mljet (just if you go with organised trip from Dubrovnik/Cavtat but they can be just one-day trip – I don't know anything about that). Korčula yes.

Trip to Kotor is very good choice. To Mostar as well. But, mind that you have to cross EU-borders.

If you have time, you can visit the city of Split (many roman things, UNESCO, nice atmosphere, mediteranaen city) and nearby Trogir (nice small city, UNESCO). The coach stations are in the centres of both of them. But the beaches there sucks as far I know...

Accomodation search - Croatian tourist board - http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Accommodation-search

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed with itinerary

You get the Nona Ana passenger ferry (catamaran) from Dubrovnik and it will take you firstly to Sobra (Mljet) and then about half an hour later will dock at Polace. You have to line up in Dbk for the ticket booth to open, as tickets cannot be pre-purchased. Here is the sailing schedule: www.gv-line.hr/raspored.php?linija=3&lang=E. Sobra is at the other end of the island, and Polace is closer to the NP (the lake with the 800y/o monastery). I've stayed in Polace twice, and again this coming June for two weeks. This is the apartment I stayed in, which was excellent. My partner and I were greeted at the ferry and allowed to check-in early. www.gv-line.hr/raspored.php?linija=3&lang=E. It's about an hour walk to the NP and another 15 minutes to Pomena. Polace has two well-stocked mini-marts, a few good restaurants, Pomena has some great konobas.

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed with itinerary

Hi

Thank you for your response. I'm actually quite surprised you don't rate Mljet that high. I was under an impression that it's a beautiful island. The reason we want to go there is to relax, be close to nature, enjoy some swimming, snorkelling, cycling and kayaking, things of such nature. Just to unwind. So it's actually good that the place is not that busy.

As for Kotor - do you think it'd be good to go there for 2-3 nights to have some time to visit the place? One of my big hobbies is photography so I'd like to take some nice pictures there. How long does it take to get there anyway? Also, do you know if we can get a public bus to Kotor from Cavtat? Many thanks for your help?

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed with itinerary

@Jojo255100

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Could you post me the link to the apartment you mentioned in your post as I think you put a second link to the ferry website by mistake? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed with itinerary

Sorry about that, here it is: adriatic-home.com/Croatia/Mljet/Pola%C4%8De/…

Edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed with itinerary

@Jojo255100

I actually bookmarked that apartment myself when I was checking for accommodation in Polace. Good to know that you liked it. Will probably stay there. Thanks!

Do you know if there are any places in Polace that we could rent kayaks and bicycles? What about kayaks near the lakes? Also, my understanding is that once you've bought a ticket to the park, it's valid for the duration of your stay. Am I correct?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed with itinerary

Mljet offers all you're looking for - it's a Natural Park, and unique.

I don't understand your wish to stay in Cavtat for a couple of days and then to move to Dubrovnik for a couple of days. In my opinion, it's either-or, as there are regular boats between the two, so if you choose one, you can easily go and visit the other.

There is a bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor, and have no idea whether it stops on the road above Cavtat to pick up people there - most probably yes, but someone from Dubrovnik would have to jump in here.

Here's the timetable for Dubrovnik bus station: http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/voznired.pdf

8. Re: Help needed with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 25, 2015