We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

My partner and I are planning a voyage to Dubrovnik in June 2014 and my question is whether toplessness is accepted at hotel pools / hotel grounds, such as at Bellevue?

We are not FKK by preference however I prefer sunning and bathing topless. Is this a problem, or are there like-leveled Hotels to Bellevue in Dubrovnik where it would be more acceptable?

Kind greetings,

Karoline K

Montreal

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

Toplessness, as you quite nicely call it, is widely accepted in Croatia. You shouldn't have any problems, particularly at hotel beaches. I haven't heard of anybody not accepting it. I must notice however that I haven't been seeing as much topless these years as there were back in 1980s, which is a kind of strange thing to me, but it's ok.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

I think it highly unlikely that someone would come up to you and demand you cover up but you may find that you are in a real minority or even the only person and thus may be the subject of stares from those around you. Sunbathing topless but swimming with a top on is also pretty common.

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

Kind thanks, all

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

I would say that people do not stare nowadays at anything. Really, as Happypleasure says it was more spread decades ago. Maybe it has something to do with the awareness of the skin cancer risk of to much exposure to the sunbeams.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

About specifically being topless at a bar rather just topless sunbathing/swimming, that is rather tricky to answer. A guide book of mine states that is quite acceptable to sit at a bar side eatery or whatever in a swimsuit in Croatia but never topless. There is a certain etiquette that is not always signposted but is observed. For instance it is absolutely acceptable to walk wherever you wish naked on Jerolim island off Hvar but at the restaurant/bar there you have to cover up with at least a kaftan which is fine by me. Only at dedicated naturist resorts have I been able to have a drink nude and also at the beach bar at the back of Kandarola beach on Rab, but again, you had to dress in something if you went to the separate restaurant. Generally, you can do whatever you wish topless wise at public beaches and bare whatever you wish in quiet bays, which is far more fun anyway if you don't want to run the risk of stares by staring types. The Croatians are very relaxed about beach attire or the lack of it in most places. On our way to naturist beaches, I've seen many ladies topless on 'ordinary' beaches, especially at Lumbarda last year and at Bol, so I wouldn't say it's out of favour that much...in any case a good sun cream is going to be just as effective there as anywhere else.

Edited: 8:03 am, October 21, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

I agree totally with rosebrid. There is no problem being topless at beaches or pools. There is an etiquette of wrapping up with a T shirt or kaftan at beach bars and cafes and restaurants. In the 1980's when topless sunbathing and swimming was at its most popular, I do not recall seeing people at cafe bars topless. Even if there is no signage I think you would feel very uncomfortable.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

Totally agree Danny, just basic politeness, which is easy to observe especially when the beaches themselves are so relaxed.

8. Re: Acceptance of Toplessness Hotel Grounds, Bar, Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 23, 2014