We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
200 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

Dear fellow TA posters!

Kindly help on travel from Mljet to Korcula.

We would be in Croatia in August end. We would be flying to Dubrovnik and be there for 4 nights.

Then we want to do island hopping starting by taking boat from Dubrovnik to Mljet. Then to Korcula and Hvar and finally Split.

What is the best way to do this?

I see there is a boat from Dubrovnik to Mljet.

But once in Mljet how easy is it to get to Korcula from Polace? As there is only 1 boat and that too not everyday. So can we be sure that they will definitely have place for everyone including us. They are not selling tickets in advance.

As we will have hotels and everything booked in advance so want to ensure we get to Korcula without any stress on the day we have planned to.

We will be travelling with our infant daughter so want to make sure everything is planned well.

Appreciate your help!

Best regards,

Vicky

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

take the tickets one day ahead, that should do.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

Not sure you can buy tickets a day ahead at Polace. Even so, there should be more people wanting to travel from Dubrovnik to Polace than Polace to Korcula and so there should be space. If you want a service you can book in advance Kantun tours runs a water taxi between Mljet and Korcula once or twice a day for 150 kuna per person. korculaexplorer.com/#/…4560905523

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
200 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

thanks a lot Happy and Apt22!

I talked to Kantun tours and they say it may not be a good idea to take the infant on their speedboat.

So my only choice is the Catamaran from Polace to Korcula.

Is Korcula really special or should I skip it? I have to go to Hvar and I thought there is no better connection from Dubrovnik anyways so why not take the ferry to Korcula and from there to Hvar next day.

If Korcula is not that great in that case I would take a day trip to Mljet from Dubrovnik.

regards,

Vicky

Durham
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

I wouldn't miss out Korcula. Korcula Town is beautiful and the sandy, sandy beach at Lumbarda is very good for small children. Also the journey Polace-Korcula-Hvar is a lot shorter than Polace-Dubrovnik-Hvar.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
47,044 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

Agree that you shouldn't miss Korcula.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

Korcula is unique in its mediaeval comb-like urban plan, with neatly ordered streets stretching from the central street, and the 13th c. city statutes being among the oldest in Europe. it is ramparted, and similarly to Dubrovnik, it's all in white stone, but smaller. it has a vivid history, and a myth says that Marco Polo was born there... It's worth seeing...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
200 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

thank you everyone!

Now that Korcula is a must I will definitely visit it.

Can I completely depend on the Nona Ana boat (which has limited seats, only 220) from Polace to Korcula that would be my only way out from Mljet to Korcula?

Or should I do a day trip from Dubrovnik to Mljet and then later take Jadrolinja's boat from Dubrovnik to Korcula which is letting me buy tickets in advance.

Please suggest.

/Vicky

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

I understand you being cautious, but I don't see you stranded on Mljet, somehow. I don't think there will be more than 220 tourists on Mljet, but with so many island hoppers... one never knows. however, if you want to stick to Dubrovnik-Korcula, then rather take a bus from Dubrovnik to Korcula, it's much shorter than the boat... check http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/voznired.pdf

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
200 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

thanks a lot Happy!

The day I want to take Mljet to Polace ferry is 29th August. It would still be peak season with loads of tourists right?

Thanks a lot for tip on bus. I see there are 3 buses daily. Do I have to buy tickets in advance?

Or rather is it possible to buy tickets in advance?

regards,

Vicky

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed on island hopping Mljet to Korcula!

thank you!

on 29th August I really really don't see flocks of tourist overcrowding the Mljet to Korcula ferry at all. TBH, if it was me, I'd do it without a blink.

For buses, I think the same. However, since security seems to matter here, go to the Dubrovnik bus station one day ahead and buy the tickets.

Edited: 7:28 pm, July 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dubrovnik