We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creating my own shore excursion

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Creating my own shore excursion

We will be in port with our cruise ship for just over 6 hours. (2pm -9pm) Is there a bus we can take to cavtat? How much would a taxi be? Would it be better to eat dinner in cavtat or Dubrovnik?

Oh. We are there on a Sunday in July

Thank you for any and all info or advice.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

This is a similar plea for help as TXfigment is making! So any reply to her is of great interest to me too...

My wife and I are also cruising. We are supposed to dock in Dubrovnik on Sunday 15th September at 07:00 and depart again at 19:00 later that same day.

Although we are well-travelled, this will be the first cruise for my wife and me - we are real novices - and this will be our first time to Dubrovnik or, indeed, to Croatia. We have 12 hours available and are game for anything, as we are both reasonably fit and enjoy walking, sightseeing, food and wine, and even a dash of culture! MSC offer a number of excursions - to Dubrovnik itself, Medjugorje, the Konavle valley and the Elafite islands - but they all seem quite expensive. Can we "do our own thing"? How close is the port to the city - is it within walking distance?

All information like this would be very helpful if you could advise - thanks.

central coast...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

yes, we are taking celebrity cruise in oct ...if same adriatic venice/rome itinerary would be interested in everyone's time in port. we, too, are seasoned travelers -but never cruised...actually thinking of canceling in favor of taking our own time.

just a little nervous i guess of limited time in ports and places to see out of the port cities.

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
365 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

I'm monitoring this line and the responses also. Hi Tescotogs, got here through your contact. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
529 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

I also have a short visit in Dubrovnik.My plans include a walk around the old wall city section,cable car ride,ferry to Lokrum Island(15 minutes),ferry to Cavtat(45 minutes)bus to Dubrovnik from Cavtat 30 minutes.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

Sounds like a very full day and do be prepared for the waiting periods prior to the departure of the ferries and bus. The bus to Cavtat, during summer, does have a more frequent schedule, but it does change after 01 September. I have been at the dock for the Cavtat ferry and had the first one depart without me as it is small and only a maximum of about 30 to 40 are permitted. If I had to drop one, it would be Lokrum and not miss Cavtat as it is a magical small town.

Boston...
Level Contributor
529 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

I guess I will have to be prepared to change a few plans for buses and ferries.I will need to have some schedules handy while I am walking around.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an office at the Pile Brsalje area, main stop for ship shuttle bus. You can pick up good information there. Libertas schedule for Cavtat:

www.libertasdubrovnik.com/prigradski.pdf

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

How late is the last ferry back from cavtat? Would it be a good place for dinner? Is there a bus or only ferry?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

Last ferry to Dubrovnik departs here at 1900. Libertas #10 runs until 2300 and terminates at the main bus terminal which is adjacent to the harbor where ships are docked.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Creating my own shore excursion

Thank you for the liberatas schedule. That is a very useful link. I understand the ferry takes about 45 min from Dubrovnik.... Is that correct? ... How much does it cost? We may ferry there and try to figure out the bus back after eating dinner there.