We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
96 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

Hello

Finally I am realising a life long dream of visiting Croatia! Dubrovnik and Opatjia are the 2 places I have fallen in love with (online) and my parents honeymooned there 42 years ago and still speak of it! Their pictures are quite spectacular!

Doing some research, almost every place I have read about says something along the lines of .... 'great for kids and families'

I am specifically going after the school holidays to avoid loads of screaming kids.

All I want is some great beach time, sightseeing, great views and as few stairs as possible :-)

Is it a better option to perhaps stay on some island rather and visit Dubrovnik?

I was also thinking about taking a gulet around the islands for a few days?

We will be a small group of people in our late 30s, great food and wine are also what we are after.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

you're never wrong to choose Dubrovnik. but if you don't like stairs, you'll have to choose in Dubrovnik to avoid the apartments that are accessible by long flights of stairs... only...

otherwise, a combination of an island and Dubrovnik is always good, particularly if you want to see a bit more of Croatia. although, Dubrovnik per se is a great place to relax...

for what you're looking for, the island of Vis would be very good (great beach time, sightseeing, great views)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
96 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

Thank you, I will google Vis

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

Dubrovnik has never struck me as particularly suitable for families and children - it is quite an adult place, particularly the old city. Cavtat is more of a family place. I would stay central to the old town. Most of the smaller boats tend to have week long trips so far as I am aware.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,560 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

I absolutely agree with Jude C and I also agree with the suggestion of Vis if you want beauty, peace and quiet.

5. Re: Dubrovnik, did I choose wrong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2014