We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are kunas only ok??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
are kunas only ok??

I am quoted in euros for hotels over the internet however was not sure if I need euros or kunas for everyday dining, shopping, travelling etc. during our trip in Split, Hvar and Dubrovnik.

If I take kuna only and am asked for euros what would be the right thing to do, can I say that I have kunas only or will it be an issue, should I carry euros just in case. It would be hard to keep a track of spending when flipping between euros and kunas.

Thank you.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are kunas only ok??

Croatian Kuna is official local currency, and people trade in Kunas. we hear reports about some private accommodations requesting payment in foreign currency, which is rather difficult to understand, since kuna has been one of the most stable currencies in terms of being tied to euro.

you can use major credit cards and debit cards all over, and there's a zillion of ATMs for cash withdrawal, particularly in tourist resorts.

if you're asked for euros, and only have kuna, then kuna must be accepted. however, you may want to keep some euros for the private accommodation in case of some stubborn and uneducated apartment owner...

hotels will accept kuna.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are kunas only ok??

Thanks for the reply.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are kunas only ok??

Just wanted to check that menus, souveniers, drinks etc would be in kunas???

I have been to Croatia before and it was kunas everywhere we went but it seems that the euro is creeping in some places. Maybe they get a better conversion rate, I'm not sure. I just don't want to be caught with the wrong currency for everyday getting around.

Thanks again.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are kunas only ok??

Kunas now and after July 1 also!! Hotels show Euro rates because most clients are from Europe so that makes it easier but guaranteed no one will ask you for Euros!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are kunas only ok??

Thank you.

United States
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are kunas only ok??

In the two weeks I've been in Croatia, last night was the first time I've been asked if I'm paying in kunas or Euros. All the prices have been listed in kunas but they sometimes also give the Euro rate for those people slow to do the math or used to thinking in Euros. A more common question has been whether or not I'm paying buy credit card or cash as there seems to be different receipt systems in place.

TAB

Jacksonville...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: are kunas only ok??

We will be stopping in Dubrovnik on a cruise next week. Do we need to carry kunas for purchases when in town? What is the easiest way to convert USD or Euros to kunas?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,277 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are kunas only ok??

Just use an ATM when arriving in Dubrovnik to get some kunas.

Jacksonville...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: are kunas only ok??

Thank you. Any suggestions on what not to miss in our limited time in Dubrovnik? I have read many other posts, but what is your recommendation?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,277 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: are kunas only ok??

I think walking the walls is a must and also taking the cable car up to Mt Srd is a definite...

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/