We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip options to Mostar?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip options to Mostar?

Hey everyone,

We're going to be in Dubrovnik in August, and we really want to take a day trip to Mostar.

It seems there are three options:

1) a bus that takes over 3 hours

2) a tour group in a bus with 18 additional tourists, only a half day (because so much time is hotel pick ups)

3) rent a car for the day. (drive is about 2 hours).

#1 seems a bad choice for a day trip. #2 is really NOT how I like to travel. So I'm leaning towards #3 right now, but I am apprehensive about it. I can only drive automatic, and also, I'm scared of getting lost (or having car problems) because I do not speak the language or know the culture.

Have any of you rented a car to drive to Mostar before, and if so, how was it? Is the drive simple? Can I rent an automatic?

And is there another day trip option to Mostar that I'm missing? Like a train, or maybe a private or smaller tour?

Thank you for any advice!

Dora

1. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:16 pm, May 12, 2013
Phoenix
Level Contributor
244 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

We have been researching this as well for our upcoming trip- it seems Cheap Dubrovnik tours has private tours to Mostar- i.e. a driver in a private car. Others on this forum have recommended them and we are considering it even though we will have our own car so we can enjoy the drive more. You might want to check them out

London
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

That's helpful. We, too, will be in Dubrovnik in August and want to do a day trip to Mostar.

4. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, May 14, 2013
5. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, May 14, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

We used Cheap Dubrovnik Tours for this trip last year. It was nice having someone else drive so both my husband and I could enjoy the sites without being with a large group on a tour bus. It's also nice that you get to decide how much time you want to spend where. We were very happy with their service.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
66 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

We went with Adriatic Explore on a minicoach tour, whilst you were with several other people on the coach when we got to Mostar we had 3 hours to spend in town (which is about right). The advantages are obvious if you're not confident on driving there, and it took very little time to collect people from other hotels.

If you're driving be aware that you pass through 3 international borders between Dubrovnik and Mostar, once into Bosnia, the next back into Croatia again after only a short distance and the final back into Bosnia for the run to Mostar.

Whilst I can see your concern I would recommend the Adriatic Explore tour, our guide was very knowledgable, spoke perfect English and talked us through the areas we were passing, the history, the politics, the culture and the customs, all of which we would have missed had we rented a car.

8. Re: Day trip options to Mostar?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 22, 2014