We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from split and to montenegro questions

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving from split and to montenegro questions

I have searched for the past couple of hours and found some good information, but nothing is exactly what I am looking for. A lot of the responses are old and I'm looking for updated info. We will be driving from Split to Dubrovnik, what is the best way, the coastal road or the motorway? What is the difference in time and views? Are there any good places to stop along the way?

Also we may drive from Dubrovnik to Montenegro. It will be the end of June (thursday 27th, or fri 28th). I've read some about an alternate border crossing, does anyone have specific directions for it and how much out of the way is it? Is it always worth it time wise?

Thanks

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

How are you defining best? The toll highway gives you speed, 2 lanes each side, few other vehicles and limited views. The coastal road is one lane in each direction and while you may be admiring the stunning views of the Adriatic you may have buses or trucks behind you trying to meet deadlines. Or you may the one held up by slow dirviers ahead of you. The coast road gives you lots of opportunties for stopping because you are driving through the towns. However, the toll highway runs out prior to Dubrovnik (still only as far as Ploce?) so you can't do the whole journey on it anyway. If you've never driven the route then I would use the coast road because of the views. You're looking at 4-5 hours for either really (bit less for the highway). Stop off at somewhere in Makarska such as Tucepi to admire the mountains and stop off at Ston/Mali Ston for the walls and sea food.

I'm not sure which is the alternate crossing you refer to with ref to your Montenegro query.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

In June and not at the weekend it's not worth bothering about the second crossing into Montenegro. It will be quicker to use the main crossing.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

supporting all that Judy has said, the times are nearly equal, since to get to the highway (after Ploče from direction Dubrovnik), you would have to make a local road inlands, and when you sum up all the travelling, it comes down to more-or-less same time.

the views from the seaside road are beautiful, since you can see islands, coves, and just stop for a swim anywhere you like. I prefer taking that road

60km from Dubrovnik, there is Ston with its great defense wall worth seeing, and its famous oyster orchards (if you're a fan, certainly the place to have oysters...). In Metković there is River Neretva delta, with a small museum (in Vid just near Metković) at the site of the ancient Roman town of Narona (local food - frogs and eels). Between Metković/Ploče and Split there would be Makarska riviera, with nice pebble beaches...

As for Montenegro, the alternate border crossing would be Vitaljina, but it makes not much difference, since you would make a detour of a few more kilometers on a local road through local hamlets, and then again get back to the main road at Igalo, Montenegro. Also, the Vitaljina crossing is II category crossing, meaning that there are some restrictions regarding the crossing, but can't remember/find what it is (it might be only for local population)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

Thanks for the great advice. It sounds like if we do Montenegro we'll just go over the regular crossing and hope there isn't a large queue. We will also just take the coastal road and take our time and have a fun drive. I love the suggestion for oysters. We love oysters! Any particular place to go there? I'm about to google it and do some research on the places mentioned to stop, but if you have a place in particular for oysters that would be great.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

Is there a good way to get directions for the coastal road? Via Michelline and my GPS planner seem to take me to E65. Should I be taking 8 for the coastal route?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

Gosh, no 8 eight hrs! The bus takes 5 hours with all the stops...

For directions, don't take the road marked with green signs (which would get you to the highway), and just follow the signs for Dubrovnik. There is only one coastal road between Split and Dubrovnik, since high mountains rise from the sea, you cannot miss.

on via michelin, you will have to click 'sightseeing' under Driving Directions (below the fields to enter cities), to show you the coastal road. It says 212 km (130 miles) (for highway it's 236 km).

Enjoy!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

We like Bakus konoba in Ston.

By the way, in Ston you may also visit the traditional, still working, saltworks.

http://www.ston.hr/en/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

I think we will stop off in Ston/Mali Stone for sure for some Oysters and Mussels. If we want to break up the drive a bit more and feel like a dip in the water and maybe a beer and some Pršut, where in Makarska would be good to stop, looking for specific beaches and restaurants or just an area in general. I don't want a spot where parking is going to be a pain and take a long time to find. Makarska, Tučepi, or Podgora or someplace else?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

for a beach: Tučepi, on the southern tip of the place, since there are no hotels, and the beach is quite close to the Dubrovnik-Split road. for good pršut, I guess you can find it everywhere, in all restaurants. however, a secret place would be a restaurant above Tučepi (to the South), with a great view of the islands, sorry can't remember the name,but there are signs along the main road showing direction contrary to the sea, obviously...

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
340 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from split and to montenegro questions

Yes D8 for the coastal route. We took this route last year from Split to Dubrovnik.