We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire to visit Montenegro

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
189 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire to visit Montenegro

Any advice of a good and reasonable car hire company to hire a car for a day trip to Montenegro, found one that wanted to charge 65 Euro extra to take over the border. Local well established companies would be fine.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire to visit Montenegro

Some do and some don't charge extra - it is in the small print of the contract. Many don't in fact - particularly car hire from Dubrovnik as you often need to go through the Bosnian corridor. I used Oryx from Dubrovnik airport and it included it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
189 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire to visit Montenegro

Thanks, yes I was aware some do & some don't and those who do charge widely varying amount (for rental too). Oryx are an option but don't seem particularly cheap!

Edited: 1:44 am, January 26, 2013
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire to visit Montenegro

I'm looking into the same thing at the moment, and trying to find places which include the green card, or at least give the option of selecting it online (Europcar do but are seriously expensive). I couldn't see on Oryx's website options for either the green card (although have read on several posts that it is included) or additional driver costs. Has anyone used Milenium? They seem very cheap and do state the extras, but can't find any reliable comments on them. Fleet also seem cheapish and mention the extras, and also allow pay on arrival. I've emailed Sixt and Hertz too to see what the deal is with them, as I can't see the cross border option online, and I've heard Budget don't include it (I think I read that somewhere on here), but as their contact form doesn't work anyway, I've given up with them! I ususally use holidayautos.com, but it is not clear on there at all about cross border, and as they don't tell you who your hire company is until after you've booked, I've given up there too!! I can see some forum uses commenting on the same car hire companies all the time, which makes me a bit suspicious, so anyone else's experience would be great! My research is ongoing...

T P
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire to visit Montenegro

I know I've posted before, and mentioned our company that we used on our trip. But instead of telling you that, I will say that I tried using expedia, travelocity, etc and found reasonable rates, and ultimately used carrentals.com (and it was my first experience through them) to book the car.

Specifically, though, It was through Alamo on carrentals.com, but when I picked up the car, ultimately it was via Europcar. I did not ask in advance about the green card, but read forums on it, and most folks' information was on who DIDN'T provide cards. Don't know about add'l driver, but they charged 10euro/day extra to cross the border.

5. Re: Car hire to visit Montenegro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 04, 2014