We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, British and injured in hospital

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, Vermont
8 posts
Save Topic
Help, British and injured in hospital

Hi guys,

We arrived in wonderful Dubrovnik on Sunday and my father in law has badly broken his leg. We are due to fly home on Sunday but we have been advised that he can't fly for 10 days. We have no hotel booked or enough cash to pay for 10 extra days!

We don't speak croatian and are not being helped by anyone.

The consulate is closed as its Independence Day on Sunday/Monday here.

Really stuck, need help please.

James 07720 547791

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Contact somebody competent back home regarding fracture nature.Maybe there is no firm reason that prohibits 2 hrs of flying.A bit of hassle is pre-arranging (extra?) plane seats,whelchairs & other logistics.

Does he have medical evacuation within his (travel) insurance?

Try ring these Croatian numbers again …fco.gov.uk/en/…

Same Web site says "Outside of our working hours your call will be directed to the UK Global Response Centre...

....or call the Foreign Office switchboard on +44 20 7008 1500 and ask for the Global Response Centre.

www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,272 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Can you contact your bank and ask them for a temporary loan to pay for the additional accommodation expenses?

Can you borrow the money from a friend or family member?

Have you contacted your insurance provider?

Have you contacted your airline and explained the situation? Perhaps they can re-arrange your flight home without incurring additional charges

Hope your father in law is better & everything works out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Can you contact your travel insurance provider?

Sorry to hear about your situation James, but try them, try the consulate...keep on going until you get something.

Surprised at the level of English in Croatia though.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

I know that the consulate will not help for situations such as this - suggest if you do not have credit or debit card with you to obtain more cash for expenses then contact someone in UK to send to you by same day services such as Western Union etc

The consultate never gives out money and they would only advise you to contact someone in the UK - I know this as someone I know asked for their help a few years ago

Cannot understand why you did not have extra monies with you if you do not have cash/credit cards to have for emergency use when travelling abroad !

Derby, Vermont
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Thanks for answers guys, we have credit cards etc but with costs mounting we were hoping to have some confirmation these would be taken care of.

We are coping ok though, FYI 10 pins and a metal plate were inserted into the leg.

I've met the consulate, spoke to travel insurance companies, cancelled flights, extended airport parking. Just waiting to find out if we can get the insurers to sort out hotel out. Or we will book into another.

Thanks again.

Homesick J

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,272 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Your welcome James. Glad things have settled down, hope your father in law has a speedy recovery & the insurance company pays for the hotel costs. Let us know what happens & try to enjoy the rest of your break.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Glad to hear that you do have credit cards with you - I assumed you did not by your post when you said you had no money for accommodation etc

Some insurers will pay for all of you but some may only pay for the injured person - this happened to another friend of mine when they were in Benidorm and her husband had a heart attack - the insurance covered all of HIS medical bills, change of flights etc but she was not covered even though she had to stay as she was his wife - she ended up not being able to claim back the costs for her extra accommodation and new flight etc !! Hope you have better luck than she did !!

At least at this time of year it will be easy to find other accommodations

london
Level Contributor
364 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law, it's horrible when a lovely holiday turns into a nightmare. We got stranded in Egypt when the dust cloud descended, and stupidly hadn't brought a debit card, as we had been "all-inclusive." Won't ever make that mistake again!

When you are on holiday you are dealing with people in the tourist industry, who usually speak English, but as soon as you need help from other locals they don't have the need to learn English.

Hopefully you will be able to find a cheapish B&B. I wish your Father-in-law a speedy recovery, and once this is over it will make a good story to laugh over.

9. Re: Help, British and injured in hospital

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, December 14, 2013