We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

Hi There,

We're going to Dubrovnik for part of our honeymoon at the end of august/start of september and wondered if anyone could give me a rough guide on average prices on eating out. We're staying at the Dubrovnik Palace but are keen to eat/drink out in both old town and lapad - I've read the old town will be more expensive but can any give a rough idea price of a beer, glass of wine and rough costs of eating out - as we're on honeymoon we're likely to go to nicer places rather than budget end, happy for recommendations. Also can any give a guide on the cost of a taxi from the airport to the lapad peninsula?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

Hi Andy

We stayed at the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel. It is obviously quite expensive to eat in the hotel. We sometimes got the bus into the old town to eat and sometimes walked along to Lapad. I know people say that Dubrovnik town is expensive but we didn't really find it any more expensive than Oxford and Lapad was even more inexpensive.

We found one restaurant around the back of Lapad in a street near the supermarket called Madonna and the food was very good and very reasonably priced. We also liked eating at the waters edge in a restaurant belonging to a hotel (forgotten the name for the moment). We had two starters and two main courses with a bottle of wine and I think it was around the equivalent of £50.00.

We found some nice restaurants in the old town in the alleyways which we also thought were pretty reasonable. Sorry I can't remember in any more detail.

Edit: Just remembered I think the hotel with tables overlooking the sea is Hotel Kompass.

Edited: 10:47 am, July 29, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lapad
Lapad
958 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

In the old town you are looking at between £6-12 a main so compared to England it is very reasonable and are exchange rate is extremely strong at the moment a beer is usually the 25-30 mark but can range 20-40

I had a good meal at storia a back street running against the outer city wall near the harbour (by chance a top 10 restaurant on trip advisor great food and very reasonable price, and friendly service

a starter, main, a few drinks and coffee was about £30

People say Dubrovnik is expensive because it is compared to other croatian destintions, I found hvar and korcula 20% cheaper and split was ridiculously cheap30-40% cheaper

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Cheshire.uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

Just back - we sometimes skipped the starter, but on average 400 kuna with a bottle of wine. but always available by the glass.

We liked LevAnat on he Lapad penninsula, Otto Taverna, YC Orsan and Amfora, I have reviewed them.. top choice YC Orsan.

have a great Honeumoon. do the 3 islands trip , we used Adriana tours.

Mentioned in this post
Lapad
Lapad
958 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

We ate at opposite ends if the price spectrum during our weekend break stayin in the old town in July:

Lunch at Toni's Spagetteria for two people came in at 20 GBP for two large plates if spagehtti napoletana, a bowl of olives, basket of bread, two large glasses of house white and bottle of water. Good, hearty and tasty food. Have eaten here 3 times over two stays and always found it excellent value. It's pasta only though.

kamenice, dinner for 2 came in at 30 GBP in total for a massive plate of fried fish (think whitebait), a delicious dish of whole prawns in tomato, garlic and white wine (called scampi on the menu), a side salad, basket of bread, half litte of house white and a bottle of water. Oh, and one Ston Oyster! This place has to be one of THE bargains to be had in Dubrovnik, seafood is the star. They don't serve fish and the none seafood dishes such as spag bol get poor reviews. We ate here the evening of lunch at Toni's and were not massively hungry. We may have shared a shrimp or squid risotto on top had we been famished.

Proto - a world away from the cheap eats. We spent 111 GBP on 3 delicious courses of Mussels, marinated shrimp, Chefs fish choice of poached seabass, pan fried bream and shrimp wrapped in bacon (yum), ice cream and hazelnut parfait (we should have shared a dessert we were stuffed), 5 glasses of house white and a cognac. I really liked Proto, I found the food a little under seasoned but we found this in other places so it could just be a style thing. Perhaps we have become accustomed to too much salt in our food. if you choose to go to Proto, book the night before and ask for a table on the terrace.

Anyway, hope the above helps...I feel about peckish now!

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

Someone mentioned Restaurant Madonna above. It's remarkably good food and value. The address is Mata Vodopica 6. If you find the supermarket (Tomi) and come out of its car park the street is just about opposite, walking towards the beach. I'd recommend Madonna as a top spot. We went back several times. They were very friendly and like to look after their customers. Their special lunch offer is particularly good value.

There's a small place just to the left as you leave the supermarket car park too. Looked good and had special daily offers. Less marketed at tourists.

There are a lot of places along the main pedestrianised drag. Most places tend to offer much the same sort of thing, at much the same sort of prices. But what you get and the quality varies. One place I didn't like was one whose name I've forgotten -- it's open-air and down a few steps from that street. Service was slow and what you got was a bit mean.

We ate out once in the old town, at Poliskar on the waterfront. Pizzas etc and basically ok. Weirdly eating in the old town wasn't any more expensive. But like many of the locals we decided to avoid the old town as much as possible -- historic and pretty it may be but it completely lacks atmosphere.

I think that a regular winner of best restaurant is Villa Ruza on Kolocep. We paid about £30 each at lunchtime (and hadn't held back on the food). The staff and location are lovely. Alas there was a very loud party of yacht owners at the table next to us. They seemed to focus on the price and videoing the fish being boned rather than shutting up and listening to the wind in the pines and the lapping sea. But even with them it was rather wonderful.

Overall it would be nice to have a bit more variety of local food. I know that there's more out there! We also went to Mostar in Bosnia -- the food was similarish but healthier, cheaper and really really good!

Mentioned in this post
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
6. Re: Prices for eating/drinking out in Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 18, 2014